how to keep cornstarch pudding from separating

agnes_day

Songster
11 Years
Aug 29, 2008
oklahoma
i made a huge vat of cornstarch pudding and i would like to save the rest for dinner tonight..for some reason though, it always turns into water after several hours! anything i can do?

I am not familiar with cornstarch pudding and the ingredients that go into it - but I would think either setting it in the freezer or fridge ought to help out some. Then you can thaw and warm(if it is served warm) it again using a double boiler.

oh, its my own recipe...its just that it seems that after being in the fridge for a few hours, it tends to separate..i just heat up some milk and butter to boiling, turn it down a hair and add some vanilla, sugar, and cornstarch and stir until really thick.

I think it's the boiling. I make the same thing, but I never allow it to boil. Boiling often causes dairy proucts to separate.

Here's the recipe I use

Vanilla Cornstarch Pudding

2 c. milk
1/2 c. white sugar
3 TBL cornstarch
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp butter

Heat milk until bubbles form at edges over medium heat. In a bowl, combine sugar, cornstarch and salt. Pour into hot milk, a little at a time, stirring to dissolve. Continue to cook and stir until mixture thickens enough to coat the back of a metal spoon. Do not boil. Remove from heat, stir in vanilla and butter. Pour into serving dishes. Chill before serving.

You know I use to make cornstarch pudding many years ago and the same thing happened to me. Thanks for the good info, Kim. Makes me want to try that recipe........if I just didn't get a bad glucose report
hit.gif

Corn starch used as a thickener does not have a long holding power. Even if you use it for a sauce or gravy on a buffet line it only holds for so long. You might try arrowroot. Also most foods will not thicken unless it is brought to a boil with the thickener in it. not all but most.
trivia..... you can always tell a sauce thickened with cornstarch because it gets shiny...

While in culinary school I watched a girl dump a ton of roux into a soup that was just warm, I said to her you know that will not thicken until it boils right? she says shut up I know what im doing, I say okie and go on my way. one second later the chef walks over and says............. you know that will not thicken until it boils right?
smile.png

Quote:
If you used 6 tablespoons of flour instead of the cornstarch it wouldn't separate...but yes you will have to bring it to a boil.

Last edited:
i always boil it..i dont know..even when i use flour it does that.
maybe i need to be less poor and get instant pudding!!!
lol.png

ive never had gravy turn to water, but of course with 8 people, i dont think we have ever had leftover gravy either.
lol.png

If you want something you can boil (just a very low bubbling, not a 'wild' boil), and not have to buy instant pudding, then make one of these mixes. You can use a low boil with these because they use powdered dry milk, not fresh milk.

Pudding Mixes

Vanilla Pudding Mix
3 c. nonfat dry milk
4 c. sugar
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. salt
3 c. cornstarch
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
Mix all except the vanilla, and store in an airtight container. To prepare, mix 1/2 c. of mix to 2 c. milk. Heat and stir constantly while bubbling over medium-high heat. Cool, then add 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract.

Chocolate Pudding Mix
2 1/2 c. nonfat dry milk
5 c. sugar
3 c. cornstarch
1 tsp. salt
2 1/2 c. unsweetened cocoa
Mix and store in airtight container. To prepare, add 2/3 c. mix to 2 c. milk. Heat and stir constantly while bubbling over medium-high heat. Cool, then serve.

Coconut Cream Pudding Mix
3 c. nonfat dry milk
4 c. sugar
1 tsp. salt
3 c. cornstarch
1 1/2 c. shredded unsweetened coconut
1 tsp. coconut extract
Mix the extract and the shredded coconut in a small bowl until the extract is absorbed. Add the coconut to the other ingredients and store in airtight container. To prepare, add 2/3 c. mix to 2 c. milk. Heat and stir constantly while bubbling over medium-high heat. Cool, then serve.

Butterscotch Pudding Mix
2 c. nonfat dry milk
5 c. brown sugar, packed
1 tsp. salt
3 c. cornstarch
Mix and store in airtight container. To prepare, add 1/2 c. mix to 2 c. milk. Heat and stir constantly while bubbling over medium-high heat. Cool, then serve.

*sigh* - and before yet another nay-sayer shows up, let me say I've shared these pudding recipes many times on other boards with positive feedback from people who actually made them!

Back
Top Bottom