How to keep my chickens combs from freezing?

Quote:
That actually sounds like a really good idea
big_smile.png

Maybe I could crochet something that would work...
Thanks!

Quote:
Ventilation at the top is not the same as deep cracks on walls lol, birds can get frost bite and die from drafts .

I can guarantee that I have the draftiest coop of anyone on here and my birds no longer get frost bite and they don't die from the drafts. creatures will die from a weakened immune system or organ failure, not from drafts. No more than humans get sick just because they go out with a wet head or in the cold and wind....they get sick from a weakened immune response.

And I have ventilation from a pop door that stays open 365 days of the year, deep cracks in the walls and floors and no insulation whatsoever....not to mention three large windows that cover both of the long walls and an opening into an open air broody pen. Drafts are my milieu!
wink.png

Last edited:
My birds can roost under coldest conditions we have with temperatures dropping to as low as -13 F. Only protection is from direct north wind so drafts still significant. Frostbite can occur under those extreme conditions (a reason for dubbing to prevent) but a major contributing factor is the birds physical condition. A bird with reduced fat (energy reserves) and muscle mass (heat generator) is at greatest risk of frostbite. Infection or other stressors can also degrade the birds to maintain body temperature when ambient temperatures are low. Another consideration is moisture on feathers that degrades their insulatory value. High humidity increases odds condensate will build up. Good ventilation prevents the high humidity. Good nutrition, especially when temperature drops can safeguard against frostbite.

Quote:
big_smile.png

Thanks!

You must take pics if you do it!!
smile.png

Quote:
big_smile.png

Thanks!

What are you gonna do if you are not there to put the hood thingy on??? Now you will own a bird that is less able to care for itself, and will suffer greatly for it.

Frost bite is the symptom, not the problem. And really frostbite is really not that big and issue. But if you have a bird with frostbite last year, you need to figure out why, not put a band aide on. Personally if it were me, I would open up all the windows and KEEP them open all winter, unless there is a big blizzard or something.

The other thing is really taking a look at how your birds are cared for, more specifically the possibility of being 'over' cared for. See my page for details.

Just our opinion though.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom