DuckMama9

Songster
Aug 8, 2019
Lubbock, Texas
I am raising backyard ducklings and there’s an owl(s) in the neighborhood. One swooped down over my flock twice one morning and I had to scare it off. This morning it picked up and took the head clean off of a young dove in my yard! I can’t help but think that could’ve been one of my ducklings! How can I deter owls and protect my babies?

I am raising backyard ducklings and there’s an owl(s) in the neighborhood. One swooped down over my flock twice one morning and I had to scare it off. This morning it picked up and took the head clean off of a young dove in my yard! I can’t help but think that could’ve been one of my ducklings! How can I deter owls and protect my babies?
The only way to keep overhead predators away is to keep your ducklings in a covered run. If there's no roof, you'll need to use bird netting. If your birds free range, be prepared to accept some losses, but you can minimize them by providing lots (and lots!) of hiding places. Think "underbrush" - shrubs, low trees (which can also hide predators) benches, clusters of flower pots or stumps, a picnic table. Free-ranging definitely requires some creative landscaping!

:welcome :frow I had a problem with owls killing some of my birds. I have 2 coops that are open on one side. I did put tarps over the open side and netting up covering all of my pens. No more owl kills.

My ducks are 4 months old. I placed 1" Mylar ribbons in the low branches of the trees. It worked! No hawks or owls but my ducks were also afraid of the shinny streamers. I wonder if they would have been exposed at an early age if this would not be an issue. I have a boarder collie that hangs with the ducks and I think that helps.

The owl is most likely to be a problem after dark. The owl can target birds in a pen through wire if they can get close enough to reach through with bill. I like to break owl's line of site even when a covered run is used. With chickens, I make so them do not pile up on side or in corner of pen where owl might reach through. If the birds can not see the owl, they are also less likely to panic where they put themselves in more danger.

I’ve lost a few to hawks, so this time we got aviary netting for the top of their run. They free range outside of that when I’m home but I know they are safe when I’m not b

Lol.
Put a large mirror on top of your cooo. When the owl swoops down she will see her reflection, We all know the mirror adds 20lbs. The owl will think it's gotten "a little chubby" and change it eating habits. Ducks are fatty protein, so problem solved.
Would it work? Just not in that way.... ;)

Put a large mirror on top of your cooo. When the owl swoops down she will see her reflection, We all know the mirror adds 20lbs. The owl will think it's gotten "a little chubby" and change it eating habits. Ducks are fatty protein, so problem solved.

Haha! Best answer ever! Made me laugh!

Back
Top Bottom