How to keep quail manure.

I would mix them in a compost bin. I use a black soldier fly larva compost bin. BSF bins compost organic materials faster than any other methods. The collected larva make very nutritious food for the quail.

I got a compost bin for Christmas and started filling it in January. It has two bags of rabbit manure (from an old hutch I acquired) and the rest is quail manure/bedding. I also save teabags, coffee grounds and flat/gone off cider to make a liquid to help with the decay ( I live in England so I've chosen wet composting) Is there anything else I can add to balance the Ammonium Nitrate levels and make it decompose faster? :)

I read a lot about the burning, but i scrape with a shovel, the poop, the dropped food, dirt, and small amounts of leaves or twigs, into a bucket and add it to my catch all compost pile.
But a decent amount of material sticks to the bucket, I've been rinsing the bucket and dumping it on my outdoor fern plants, and they are greener than I've ever seen

Rabbit manure is a cold fertilizer and can be used directly, but as stated above, quail manure is way too hot and will burn vegetation, BUT what you can do is mix water with the quail manure, strain out the solids, and use that liquid to fertilize. I read the liquid will have a significantly lower nitrogen content, much cooler, and anything you pour it on will bloom out of control. One of my major motivations for raising quail.. I need those magical droppings!!

Edit: This might explain why Gables Farm's ferns are greener than ever after emptying the rinsed bucket on them (post above mine).

From what I understand, you can do this right away. Sure beats waiting for the manure to breakdown for months. Obviously, you can then toss the strained solids into a compost pile to break down even further, so no wasted material. :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom