How to keep roos in the suburbs

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by hcammack, Dec 16, 2007.

1. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    How would you keep him slightly quite there would be no other roosters near by. he would be an Amerucana roo he would have 7 hens and 12 in the spring in a chicken tractor I have about an acre and a Half I was wondering if the crows would carry realy far.

Thanks Henry

2. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Yes, the crows usually carry quite far.

3. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    A rooster supposedly can't crow without the headroom to straighten up. You can try putting him in a short box or cage at night when you absolutely need him to be quiet. It would be too cruel to keep him like that 24/7.

4. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    how often would a rooster crow if it has no other roosters any where nearby I have heard this decreases the crowing.

THanks
    Henry

5. Rosalind

Rosalind Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Not really. Mine crow whenever they feel like it, which is more or less all the time. They didn't figure it out for a few months, though. I think they crow slightly less if they don't hear anyone else doing it, but not never.

It's really loud. You could try insulating the walls of the chicken coop very thoroughly, maybe piling straw bales up the walls or something, to make it less noisy.

6. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    I think I will just leave it and if anyone gets ticked I will send him to my aunts farm

7. okto

okto Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2007
    los angeles
    in a stewpot?

8. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    No he would be rare so I would keep him as a breeder or give him to my aunt to be a breeder for her flock.

Henry

Last edited: Dec 16, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by