How to let go? First time chicken owner.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Thaderiver, Mar 23, 2018.

1. Thaderiver

Thaderiver In the Brooder

Mar 22, 2018
    Hello everyone.
    This is my first time posting. But I’ve been all over these boards for weeks already getting good advice.

So here’s my situation. This is my first time having chickens. I live in the city and got 3 chickens from a lady who became a vegan. I’ve only had these chickens 2 months now and one of them quickly got very thin and now she is mostly paralyzed, can’t walk, still barely eats. I know I did everything I could. I know she needs to be put down. I googled the most humane ways to do it. But I just can’t. I thought I wouldn’t have to worry about this for years. Not 2 months into knowing her.

So tell me something. Anything.
    Maybe I need to hear something harsh.

ButtonquailGirl14 likes this.
  2. Thaderiver

Thaderiver In the Brooder

Mar 22, 2018
    Someone suggested to me to make a Craigslist ad asking to kill my chicken.

There is someone I know whose parents have a chicken farm. I have considered driving the 2 hours and asking them to put my chicken down for me.

It’s just that inconceivable to me right now.

3. 17 chickens

17 chickens Crazy Chicken Math

Jul 11, 2016
    Chattaroy Washington
    I know the feeling, I can't put down my chickens so I take them to my local Veterinarian.
    So sad for you!
    Hugs

Relleoms likes this.
  4. LJoWilly

LJoWilly Songster

Oct 28, 2016
    Illinois
    Oh no hun..so sorry you're in this situation...maybe someone will chime in??

5. ashlandco

ashlandco Songster

Mar 31, 2017
    Im so sorry:( :hugs

6. jonalisa

jonalisa Codswallop!

May 28, 2013
    NH
    My Coop
    I live in NH and the local University has a veterinary school and they do euthanasia in a very humane way. Call your state veterinarian's office and ask where you can bring her. I had to do this last Friday.

Relleoms and ButtonquailGirl14 like this.
  7. micstrachan

micstrachan Free Ranging

I'm so sorry you are facing this. Most veterinarians will euthanize, even if they are not avian vets. Having said that, the Chicken Chick has an article on euthanizing yourself. I'll see if I can find the link for you...
    I can tell you this. A chicken is still CONSCIOUS if you try the slitting the throat method, and I don't recommend it, though many people do it. Hang tight. I'll look for the chicken chick's article...

Relleoms and ButtonquailGirl14 like this.
  8. micstrachan

micstrachan Free Ranging

9. ButtonquailGirl14

ButtonquailGirl14 Crossing the Road

Jul 13, 2017
    Northport WA
    :hugs so sorry:hit

Relleoms likes this.
  10. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Crossing the Road

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    :welcome

I think your would be best off finding a vet to put her down for you. I don't know how much it would cost, but you could ask around. I know it's a hard decision, but I applaud you for doing the kindest thing for your chicken.

(I'm not sure about a Craigslist ad - you just never know how someone would go about it. The most important thing is that she doesn't suffer.)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: