How to let go? First time chicken owner.

Thaderiver

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 22, 2018
Hello everyone.
This is my first time posting. But I’ve been all over these boards for weeks already getting good advice.

So here’s my situation. This is my first time having chickens. I live in the city and got 3 chickens from a lady who became a vegan. I’ve only had these chickens 2 months now and one of them quickly got very thin and now she is mostly paralyzed, can’t walk, still barely eats. I know I did everything I could. I know she needs to be put down. I googled the most humane ways to do it. But I just can’t. I thought I wouldn’t have to worry about this for years. Not 2 months into knowing her.

So tell me something. Anything.
Maybe I need to hear something harsh.

Someone suggested to me to make a Craigslist ad asking to kill my chicken.

There is someone I know whose parents have a chicken farm. I have considered driving the 2 hours and asking them to put my chicken down for me.

It’s just that inconceivable to me right now.

I'm so sorry you are facing this. Most veterinarians will euthanize, even if they are not avian vets. Having said that, the Chicken Chick has an article on euthanizing yourself. I'll see if I can find the link for you...
I can tell you this. A chicken is still CONSCIOUS if you try the slitting the throat method, and I don't recommend it, though many people do it. Hang tight. I'll look for the chicken chick's article...

:welcome

I think your would be best off finding a vet to put her down for you. I don't know how much it would cost, but you could ask around. I know it's a hard decision, but I applaud you for doing the kindest thing for your chicken.

(I'm not sure about a Craigslist ad - you just never know how someone would go about it. The most important thing is that she doesn't suffer.)

Back
Top Bottom