How to make “Start a New Thread” easier?

Eggcessive

Wrangler
Premium Feather Member
13 Years
Apr 3, 2011
southern Ohio
It seems very difficult for newer people to this site to find out how to start a new thread, especially on the emergency forum. They tend to find old threads and hijack them, which confuses things. Is there any way to add the blue box “start a new thread” to the current page where the box “reply to thread” is located?

Sometimes new people just don't understand how forums work or don't READ.
I usually provide a direct link for them instead of just asking them to start a new thread.
Like this for an emergency:
Post New Thread < Click on that link to start a new thread.

Kiki is right. Some people don’t read. Others are either young or have problems with complex comprehension.
Some are just inexperienced.

When I first came to BYC I was in my “year of learning”, pre-chickens. I wasn’t a member. Just a daily lurker.
I read and read and READ.

However, even though I’d participated in an online forum (lol back in the ‘90’s) it was a much “simpler” platform.
Also this was wayyyyy back before smartphones and iPads.

I still struggle here sometimes.

I’m not criticizing BYC, I love this site. I practically “live here” as you all know. But it can be tricky to navigate, especially when a person has an emergency and needs help right away and is upset and it’s their first foray into the world of real-time online interaction.

That’s why a few months back I asked if the emergency department could be segmented somehow to funnel problems into even more specific categories.

Highjacking DOES happen, often.

Also duplication....Two or three people people posting about almost identical problems at the same time.

It seems very difficult for newer people to this site to find out how to start a new thread, especially on the emergency forum. They tend to find old threads and hijack them, which confuses things. Is there any way to add the blue box “start a new thread” to the current page where the box “reply to thread” is located?
Highjacking DOES happen, often.
Another option would be to report the post and request for it and it's related posts get moved to their own thread.

Another option is an integrated 'guided tutorial'. The kind you get when you join certain platforms online or use template makers. The ones which gray out your screen and emphasize directional text boxes explaining interactives.

The one here could go New Member Section --> New Thread --> Example Title --> Tags --> Post Thread --> Watch Thread --> Watched Thread Tab --> Alerts --> PM ---> Learning Center --> Search Function --> Rules ---> Contact Us

We've done EVERYTHING we can think to educate new people. In the welcome emails, in a welcome Private Message, instructions at the top of the forum when they join, etc. etc. etc. we have links to documentation, instruction videos, even a direct "post here to start a new topic" link.

... unfortunately of the hundreds of new members every week, some will just either not read, or be new to forums and not understand how / where to post. It's the nature of the beast.

We're open to other ideas and suggestions, but if we can't get peeps to read the info we try to force in front of them, there's not much more we can really do that would make much of a difference.

So, there will always be those with confusion... we just do the best we can to point the min the right direction.

When I first joined, I found navigating the site confusing, finally figured out some of it, I've been a member of many forums, groups, boards (back when there were those) etc for years, I am currently a member of several groups on FB and admin/manage several.. I do not believe there are a large number that do not read.. but I do believe that others can find it just as confusing as I did and still do at times. Taking time to explain is always best.

Back
Top Bottom