How to make chickens friendly/tame and how long?

Apr 28, 2019
Western North Carolina
Hi there!

I've been reading for weeks but this is my first day posting to the forum and only my second day of having my own chickens! Please forgive me if I have posted in the wrong section.

I have read a lot on the forum about taming my chickens so that they will come to me and even though I've found some conflicting information this is the approach I'm taking:
I've been sitting in their run...I tried to put the treats in my lap but they are terrified of me so the best I've done is gotten them to eat the treats about half a foot away from me. I've been sitting out there for about 30 minutes at a time several times a day, just getting them used to my presence and talking frequently. I make the same noise when they eat the treats so that they will associate that noise from me with treats. I have not been grabbing them except when I have to to get them in the coop at night...tips for when I need to do this? Should I keep holding them until they calm down or let them down as quickly as possible since they are scared?

The other thing I keep reading is that it takes time. I'm sure every chicken is different, but if you have gone through this experience, how long did it take your chickens to warm up to you?

Is there anything I'm not doing that you would suggest?

I don't need them to love me and sit in my lap (though that would be neat!), but I would like to be able to pick them up when necessary without scaring them and when I free range them once they are full grown I want to make sure they will come back to me.

Mine are 6 weeks and have not been handled much until now. They are 2 Whiting True Greens and 2 Whiting True Blues. They are terrified of me!

Thank you for any tips and resources you can offer. I'm so excited to join this community and have my own chickens!

You are doing everything right so far.
They are young and it sounds like they have not had much human contact so far.
I sit out in my coop with my girls every so often and see who will eat from my hand. the ones that wont are really envious of the ones that do and are getting closer each time.
Move slowly, talk gently and bring something each time you come so they associate your visits with "something good is about to happen"
Good luck! And welcome to the backyard!

Hi! I wasn't exactly keen on having our ladies but they're here and that's that lol i also wasn't looking for any kind of bond BUT being me I bought them "goodies" while getting other stuff, mealworms, and now they come running and then follow me around waiting for it. I shake the bag and mention the word goodies and talk to them for a few minutes. Birds are smart they learn pretty quick who is who and who gives what. I've learned not to look for it, be it my parakeets cockatoo dogs etc. just let things happen. Good luck

You are doing everything right so far.
They are young and it sounds like they have not had much human contact so far.
I sit out in my coop with my girls every so often and see who will eat from my hand. the ones that wont are really envious of the ones that do and are getting closer each time.
Move slowly, talk gently and bring something each time you come so they associate your visits with "something good is about to happen"
Good luck! And welcome to the backyard!

Ok, even of a chicken pecks you on purpose it doen not hurt that bad.
They dont have teeth like a dog or cat. Do you had feed your dog or cat because they could do some seroius damage.
A chicken not so much. One exception would be a rooster with spurs, now he could hurt you with those.
But if you are scared, wear a glove, or put in a small bowl and hold it for them.

Back
Top Bottom