How to make chicks happy for under $10...**Pics**

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Cetawin, May 5, 2008.

1. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    well first, you start off by giving them breakfast of a hard boiled egg...

[​IMG]

Then you run to the local feed store (trying to avoid those cute baby duckies) and get a horse grain feeder for 6.00 and come home. Fill new feeder with some wonderful red clay from the yard and some Sweet PDZ and give to the girls to examine...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then it is BATH TIME!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Trying to bathe in privacy while someone else is looking for a spot in the tub...

[​IMG]

End result.... happy, bathed, singing girls.

Yay...I did good!

2. TMNTCkins

TMNTCkins Chillin' With My Peeps

We have the same bucket and our little ones love taking a bath too. [​IMG]

3. RioLindoAz

RioLindoAz Sleeping

Jul 8, 2007
    Yuma, Arizona
    Wait till they get bigger!!!! You'll have to re-fill the tub with sand every 5 minutes!

4. love-my-wolves

love-my-wolves Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Front Royal, VA
    Ok, sorry for the ignorance, but what is PDZ? Thanks! Steph

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Cute pics! [​IMG]

6. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Quote:It is a horse stall deordorizer that is all natural and safe...it promotes a healthier respiratory environment. I got 50# for about 12.00 in the powdered form. Speckledhen uses it for her chickens too.

http://www.sweetpdz.com/

here is the specifics on use with chickens...

Chickens

Chickens have a lot of benefits, but they are by no means the neatest of barnyard animals. In fact their coops, hen houses and pens can get really stinky. Sweet PDZ is the answer to your smelly, dropping filled coops. Sprinkle Sweet PDZ liberally where the birds make their mess. Reapply regularly on the most frequently used roosting areas, and you’ll be well on your way to a healthy, safe and pleasant smelling chicken house. Sweet PDZ also makes it much easier to remove the droppings when cleaning out the chicken’s house. As an added benefit Granular Sweet PDZ can be safely eaten by the birds and used by them to grind their food. Clean smelling chickens = healthy chickens.

7. love-my-wolves

love-my-wolves Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Front Royal, VA
    Cool! Thanks! I'll have to get me some of that!!! Steph

8. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    You are welcome. It comes in granular and powdered. Since we have red clay here, I got the powdered so the girls could bathe easier. [​IMG]

9. Jolyn

Jolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Northern California
    Could you put sand in the grain feeder and sprinkle some of the sweet pdz in that?

10. Chamelle

Chamelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    Springfield, OR
    Happy chicks!

Cetawin, your Sandy has the same coloring as two of my EE's, Mia and Susannah. Don't you just love that combination of gold and grey?

I've been putting DE in a pan with sand and soil for my chicks to fluff around in. I just love how they seem to be luxuriating in being covered with dirt!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by