How to make my chicken stop laying egg?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's obvious the OP's Forum name does not apply to the Hen!!!

I actually feel sorry for the Chickens she has!!! Sad. Takes all kinds I guess!!

David

Your hen would probably rather have a lay eggs in a happy environment in the comfort and protection of her rooster, with sunlight and outdoors and warmth, than to be put in a dark room and separated from her rooster. Think about it, would you shut yourself up in a dark room and segregate yourself from all men if it made you stop producing eggs?
What would be the best option which wouldn't contribute to the detriment of her health? They are not smart enough so they will not listen to us. Maybe if they can be genetically engineered to make them smarter, then I might choose that option for as long as it is within my price range.She probably doesn't care if she eat or a human eat her fertilized eggs, since she won't be broody, but I do care. I want her fertilized eggs to hatch into a chick, not eat them. Humans are certainly superior in intellectual ability than chickens, so sometimes people wouldn't let it happen what a chicken wants. I am not sure if that plan is feasible, but I am sure that I don't want my chickens to suffer physically, and I don't want to cage them for at least several days.

What would be the best option which wouldn't contribute to the detriment of her health? They are not smart enough so they will not listen to us. Maybe if they can be genetically engineered to make them smarter, then I might choose that option for as long as it is within my price range.She probably doesn't care if she eat or a human eat her fertilized eggs, since she won't be broody, but I do care. I want her fertilized eggs to hatch into a chick, not eat them. Humans are certainly superior in intellectual ability than chickens, so sometimes people wouldn't let it happen what a chicken wants. I am not sure if that plan is feasible, but I am sure that I don't want my chickens to suffer physically, and I don't want to cage them for at least several days.
Ah, I beg to differ. I'm not going to start a debate on it, but I believe that chickens are extremely intelligent, maybe we're just too dumb to interpret all of it. Where has all our supposed "intellectual thinking" really gotten us, if we've lost so many of our natural instincts and abilities?
So, back on topic, it's true that the commercial-rate laying of battery hens and lack of nutrition is just awful for them, but if your hen has proper nutrition and a good life, she won't mind spending that 15 minutes a day pumping out an egg. If your hen isn't going broody but you want chicks, try hatching the chicks yourself with an incubator.

Oh yes, lets isolate the hen and keep her in darkness so she wont do what comes naturally to her so a human can feel better..

That is abuse

I think eating fertilized eggs of chicken has no respect for the life inside an egg. I can't think of any other way. At least it is better than killing something. If I have enough broody hens in the future, then I can just put some of her eggs for them to incubate. Another solution might be to buy incubator. Wouldn't that be a better solution? I am just brainlisting atm, which means I don't have a final decision yet.

OP - in the interest of your apparent outlook on life, perhaps you would be better suited to take on an older hen who has stopped laying and is likely to find her way into the stew pot now that she is no longer contributing - you can provide a happy home in which she can live out her years and you won't have to worry about the pesky egg-laying issue. You could re-home your productive hen(s) to someone else, perhaps even trading for the past-her-prime hen(s)

Now this makes sense.

OP, I didn't realize you lived in Hawaii. Unfortunately it probably will be unfair to leave the hens locked up a bit later due to the heat & long day lengths. Keeping them locked up more than a couple of hours longer than normal will be cruel on the hens.

And people, I suggested the OP leave the hens locked up a bit later to reduce light exposure, but I don't mean longer than a couple of hours than normal.
Also the hens may have to lay eventually to release calcium if it builds up.

I've just never heard of anyone wanting their hens to NOT lay, normally everyone WANTS eggs.

Quote: Not going to start a debate, but I believe that fertilized egg isn't actually a life, it's a potential to become a life. Or your breakfast.
tongue.png
You should definitely buy an incubator if you want to hatch chicks but have no broodies. Or just buy a Silkie or Cochin, same thing as an incubator anyways, but they also function as brooders!
gig.gif

It's obvious the OP's Forum name does not apply to the Hen!!!

I actually feel sorry for the Chickens she has!!! Sad. Takes all kinds I guess!!

David
Look, let's be nice.
old.gif
Everyone has different opinions, please respect that.

Ah, I beg to differ. I'm not going to start a debate on it, but I believe that chickens are extremely intelligent, maybe we're just too dumb to interpret all of it. Where has all our supposed "intellectual thinking" really gotten us, if we've lost so many of our natural instincts and abilities?
So, back on topic, it's true that the commercial-rate laying of battery hens and lack of nutrition is just awful for them, but if your hen has proper nutrition and a good life, she won't mind spending that 15 minutes a day pumping out an egg. If your hen isn't going broody but you want chicks, try hatching the chicks yourself with an incubator.

Can you think of other humane ideas without using incubator?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom