HOW-TO: Make seed tapes

Damummis

Chickenista
10 Years
Apr 29, 2009
Mid-Coast
Every year planting small seeds can be a big pain in the back. Seed tape is my answer. However it can get expensive if bought. My solution, make your own.

You need :
Paper towels
Cornstarch glue
squeeze bottle
stylus

First I make the glue. Mix 1/2 Cup cornstarch with 1Cup water. Cook in small pot till thick, bubbly and opaque. Use a whisk and stir constantly to reduce clumping.
29708_seed_tape_001.jpg

29708_seed_tape_004.jpg

Next I put it in a squeeze bottle. You can use a Ziploc with the corner cut off.
29708_seed_tape_005.jpg

While that cools I tear off enough paper towels to make a row. Fold and cut 1/2" strips with my rotary cutter.
29708_seed_tape_006.jpg
29708_seed_tape_008.jpg

Lay out strips on a work surface and squeeze a line of glue.
29708_seed_tape_009.jpg

Smear the glue on the paper towel.
29708_seed_tape_011.jpg

With a dot of glue on the stylus. Toothpick, pencil or other pointy object works. Pick up seed with stylus and dot on strip.
29708_seed_tape_012.jpg

When strip is complete move it somewhere to dry. If you don't you won't be able to move it because it will dry in place. Trust me.

Last edited:
If you're into sqft gardening you can use the whole papertowel, and dot out your seed block, then set the block down with a fes pieces for gravel so it's won't flutter away.

Does the glue effect the germination at all? Have you planted these before and they've worked. I am in disbelieve at how simple that is, it looks like it should be a lot harder and more scientific with the glue and such. You have great ideas, I am going to try this TONIGHT!
You are awesome!

Quote:
I've done it with the sqft one, it works, the glue and towels dissolve with waterings.

Agreed. It doesn't harm them at all. I think it would help keep the seeds moist till germination.

Back
Top Bottom