How to make them friendlier?

NamahKatana

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 23, 2011
Oregon
I have two runner mix girls that aren't the most social. Since they will be my only ducks soon I want them to be friendlier and more of a pet. I'v tried coaxing them with sliced carrots but they just run away. What can, if anything, can I do to make them more friendly?

Also breeds guesses are welcome. i know they are half runner. Mom was a pure white typical straight up runner and dad was a jet black with green tint. I'm thinking runner x call?

my girls
27244cbf.jpg

Maybe Runner x Cayuga? Cayugas are black w/green tint. Cayugas are not small though. They are beautiful ducks.

I adopted ducks from people who "hated" them. They were very nervous of me, to say the least, when I brought them home.
I was (and still am) VERY consistent about the schedule. Quick visit in the morning to make sure they have everything they need, change out water, etc. Always announcing myself, cleaning their enclosure at about the same time everyday, patience and PEAS. I also spent HOURS (and still do, even when I ought to be vacuuming or folding laundry...) sitting with them, talking and singing quietly.

After 4 days they were eating out of my hand. I wouldn't call them cuddly now, but they like my attention - with or without peas in hand - and DEMAND it at certain times of day (11 AM, and 4 & 6 PM). They like me to sit in my spots and watch them while they nibble on my shoes, shirt, etc. The most nervous of them likes to be closest to me all the time but prefers it if the girls take the treats from my hand and drop them on the ground for him. They oblige & I don't mind. He is the one who starts the call for the pea lady/water bearer going first, so I know he likes me.
wink.png

Good luck, you'll get lots of great advice on this site. This subject seems to be one we have all dealt with on some level or other and everyone was very helpful to me when I brought the ducks home. I am sure you'll get a lot more advice than I can give.

Thank you! I was just out there with some peas and they actually ate some with me sitting there(they usually won't eat anything when i'm out there) My chickens sure loved the peas lol I have 4 hens in my lap! My blue and white one (Daffie) loved it when i threw then in the water bucket. I'll have to buy more peas lol

Quote:
lol I'll probably be they same way now that I know this. I wonder what it is about peas that they all love so much.

Quote:
lol I'll probably be they same way now that I know this. I wonder what it is about peas that they all love so much.

All I can say is in the morning when their swimming tub has clean water in it I dump a bunch of frozen peas in it and watch the action, it's so funny to see them bobbing for peas, even the chickens get in on it.
smile.png

I think i found a way
smile.png
I was bored today so i brought them in and filled up the bath tub with water and just sat there with them and threw peas to them. They LOVED it. After the bath tub I put them in a large wire crate in the kitchen for a few hours and they were pretty calm even with my little brother climbing on top XD When i put them back in their pen before I left Daffie actually let me pet her! So i think I'll try this for a while and i think it'll make them more friendly. Yay
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom