How to make your turkeys have small rounded snoods

If you want a small snood, keep only hens. It's the toms who have the really long snoods.

Seriously, if you don't like the way turkeys look, raise something else. That's what turkeys look like and they use that snood to communicate with each other. And with you if you learn what they are saying and pay attention.

I like how they look but,sometimes turkey have really long snoods wich I am not fond of,I have seen a lot of them with small round snoods and I think I will get those.

Those turkeys with the small rounded snoods have had them hacked off at the hatchery. It is done for the commercial growers because the conditions they raise them in are conducive to having the birds pick at each other constantly, with the snood being one of the most common targets, which bleeds a lot. I agree with the other poster. If you can't accept them as they are meant to be, and can't change it through simple selective breeding, find something else to raise. Commercial growers are not the demons that they are made out to be by overly emotional, irrational types. They do what they need to do for specific reasons, but snood clipping has no place in a backyard situation.

um.......... yeah....you can't make them small.

Turkey's can shrink or extend their snoods as they see fit, to communicate to the hens or other toms. It is a natural part about being a turkey. It's one of the tools they use to show dominance to other males (without risk of injury in fighting) and to attract females for mating. the ladies like long snoods!

I think they're quite beautiful just as they are in their natural state... and agree that if you can't endear yourself to them as they are, you should consider another fowl to raise. I have yet to hear of any type of turkey that has a consistently small snood.

um.......... yeah....you can't make them small.

Turkey's can shrink or extend their snoods as they see fit, to communicate to the hens or other toms. It is a natural part about being a turkey. It's one of the tools they use to show dominance to other males (without risk of injury in fighting) and to attract females for mating. the ladies like long snoods!

I think they're quite beautiful just as they are in their natural state... and agree that if you can't endear yourself to them as they are, you should consider another fowl to raise. I have yet to hear of any type of turkey that has a consistently small snood.
X2 It is what seperates the boys from the girls!

Those turkeys with the small rounded snoods have had them hacked off at the hatchery. It is done for the commercial growers because the conditions they raise them in are conducive to having the birds pick at each other constantly, with the snood being one of the most common targets, which bleeds a lot. I agree with the other poster. If you can't accept them as they are meant to be, and can't change it through simple selective breeding, find something else to raise. Commercial growers are not the demons that they are made out to be by overly emotional, irrational types. They do what they need to do for specific reasons, but snood clipping has no place in a backyard situation.

+1 And they also have their beaks whacked off in the pictures.

I personally love the turkeys bald heads and snoods. They feel interesting. My favorite part is how they are bumpy and the little bit of hair/feathering. And the snood is hilarious how it extends and shrinks back up! And it feels weird. I have 2 Royal Palms myself. I can't wait for Mannie to get bigger snood. It looks like a big snot wad hanging down. xD

Last edited:
+1 And they also have their beaks whacked off in the pictures.

I personally love the turkeys bald heads and snoods. They feel interesting. My favorite part is how they are bumpy and the little bit of hair/feathering. And the snood is hilarious how it extends and shrinks back up! And it feels weird. I have 2 Royal Palms myself. I can't wait for Mannie to get bigger snood. It looks like a big snot wad hanging down.
x3
clap.gif
I love my 4 heritage turkeys; they make me laugh everytime I'm with them with their inquisitiveness and exuberant ways. Cutting off their snood would be like circumcision, and I know this isn't the place to get into a discussion about that!
roll.png
But their knobbly heads, wattles and snoods are such a part of what a turkey is - if you can't enjoy that, then consider another kind of fowl. I'm not being mean, just realistic...

If you just gotta have turkeys and hate the long snoods, just raise all females, but please do not get toms and hack off their snoods ! That is the was God made him, so don't mess with Nature. Please !!! God will bless you for doing things HIS way !!!
rant.gif

Back
Top Bottom