how to nourish hen w/ impacted crop

To determine if this is an impacted crop or simply a full crop (they fill their crops, often to the point of considerable bulge, a few times a day and then digest the feed from the crop....and repeat), check the bird at the time it goes to roost, remove access to feed and then check the crop in the morning. A normal crop will have emptied overnight....an impacted crop will remain as full as it was the night before
My thanks. She’s just come off 5 days of broody behavior and her eatting is better.

If she is sour and you think the contents are liquid enough for her to throw it up you should try again to throw her up. You might have to add some water to her crop like they do in the video. Your are going to have to turn her upside down 3-4 times and massage her crop firmly to get her to throw up. Just be sure to tip her up between so she can get some air and sneeze a little. If the lump is still hard you can continue with the oil and massage and give her the Monistat to stop the fermentation, but the Monistat treatment will work better if her crop is emptied. I buy Monistat 3 and cut the suppositories up into thirds and feed her one third in the morning and one third in the evening until all 9 pieces are gone. Just shove it down her throat.

she is very sour. But it is not liquid enough for her to throw up. I have tried and all she throws up is the water I have given her. It is matted in there. Yesterday I felt seeds and grains but evidently she has passed those. Now I think it must be grass matted together. It is not hard like a baseball like it was the first day, it is softer. But it is by no means liquid or squishy. but unless something changes tomorrow, it doesn’t feel like it’s going to go anywhere. and pill a chicken! Oh my gosh. Is there a video?

Back
Top Bottom