How To Potty Train Your Chicken

As long as your house isn't strewn about with various forms of excretement it shouldn't matter what you keep (that isn't a danger to others). That being said I grew up with a real crazy cat lady, and mess can get out ofhand(by that I mean health hazard) be it cat, dog or chicken. I like birds but I find them rather smelly down to parakeets ... But to each his own I guess. Just keep it clean for the animals benefit if not ones own
wink.png

Pets are any animal one has chosen to make into a pet.

People have pet snakes for heaven sake, why not a pet chicken?? I kept my lone chicken with me (not in my house but that was my choice) until I was able to get it some flock mates. I know people who have potty trained rabbits - we shoot them and eat em round here and we will kill a snake that becomes a problem. Other people in other countries eat dog and cat and most decidedly horse. People eat pig and people keep pigs as pets.

Every now and again you gotta wonder why we keep kids in the house! They are hard as the dickens to potty train - takes years! They make enormous messes, destroy your furniture and often smell bad.... But keeping 'em in the barn gets you in trouble... Go figure.
lol.png

maybe how there is a meat bird forum that is free from vegan hating posts, there should be a pet chicken forum that was free from getting hijacked ? I don't know how much interest there would be in that - but I have noticed that nearly every time a post about a chicken in the house comes up- it gets hijacked in a negative manner

anyway! to each their own- I love my chickens, my ducks, my cat, my dogs and my daughter LOVES her rat, she thinks he is the most beautiful animal in the world, she adores him- and i defend her all the time for the last four years to love that rat and not worry about others stigmas

I do not have any birds in the house right now, but I did have an awesome sermera roo who did come in at night to sleep in a crate in the garage. We live in the suburbs and I did not want him waking up the neighbors in the morning. I noticed that he was hardly messing his crate at all, and then after a while I noticed that he would hold it till I let him back outside in the morning. So, it seems that it was just natural for him not to want to mess where he was sleeping? Or maybe it was just the natural pattern of waking and sleeping and pooping? I don't know, but I thought it was pretty cool that he would hold it till I took him outside.
There were LOTS of nights that he would be invited to join us inside the house as well, he seemed to be fond of the company and we certainly enjoyed his company, he was a sweetie pie- then in the morning, I would let him out and let out all the birds out of the coop, and he would be out all day till he went to roost at night, and then I would just bring him in when I locked everyone else up

over the years I have other situations that merited birds coming in the house- anyway- I am babbling now - thanks for posting

Last edited:
If I had to choose between having a chicken or dog live in the house, I would pick chicken. Just my own personal opinion.

By the way, Seramas are popular house chicken pets. As long as you clean up after it (or potty train it!) it shouldn't matter if it's a chicken, rabbit, hamster, dog, cat, cockatiel, etc.

wonderful info!! am saving it and might try it soon... although i feel better with most of mine outside, there have been a few that i would have like inside.... and yes, i have moved some of them in when it is excessively hot- course i also have other birds inside, and so a chicken would be no different for me...

i keep my chickens outside but occasionally i like to bring one inside to hang out on the computer or to watch tv with me. they like sitting on my lap and getting their feathers scratched. i wouldn't keep one inside 24/7 although i can see how some people would. lots of folks keep cats, ferrets, etc in their house and i think they smell awful but they dont seem to mind. chickens are awesome pets but they are smelly for sure. plus they like to sunbathe, hunt for bugs and take dirt baths so keeping them inside would be mean.

Quote:
I totally understand people making pets from chickens. People have other birds for pets. Why not chickens. I find it amazing that a chicken can be potty trained. I have a few that are tame and love to pick them up and pet them but OMG, can't imagine bringing them in in inclement weather. I probably have around 100 chickens!

i can see your point- now if i have a special needs chicken they come inside- as far as bringing them in in bad weather- i do that in excessive heat with my banties, but i only have 5- i have 23 big chickens and they are completely outside chickens

Back
Top Bottom