How To Potty Train Your Chicken

Amitist

Songster
9 Years
Aug 16, 2010
Erlanger, KY
I have a technique to potty train your chicken. I did this method and it took me about 2-3 days to train my chicken. Please be patient, the chicken will make mistakes. So yeah, here it goes... This method is to keep a chicken if its sick, too hot, too cold, stroming (etc.) Its not too keep it like a dog (it can be used to do that though). I made this method because it was too hot for my chicken (I only have one right now) to be in the coop OR stay outside one day. It loves to cuddle so I bring it in once in a while for an hour or so to cuddle, whenever it has to go poop it goes up to the newspapers and does it. Then I throw away the newspaper and Febreze the place.

Here are the things you will need 1. Newspaper 2. Animal Training Clicker 3. TREATS!
big_smile.png

Learn the signs your chicken makes just before relieving itself. Chickens generally will signal with body language, such as tail-twitching.

Spread old newspapers in a corner of your home where the chicken can go to the bathroom.

Sit with your chicken perched on your hand or arm near the newspapers and relax while watching for its signal.

Hold the chicken over the newspapers when you see the signal. When the chicken goes to the bathroom use the clicker and give it a treat. It is very important to click and give the chicken the treat immediately so that it will form an association between going on the paper, hearing the sound and getting a reward.

Repeat this process many times. Eventually you will be able to take the chicken to the paper and signal it to relieve itself with the clicker

If this isn't working out for you, here are some Tip/Warnings...

1.You also can use this process to train a chicken to use a litter box..
2.Before house training your chicken, it needs to be hand-trained. This means that it can perch comfortably on your hand with no assistance..
3.Don't praise the chicken verbally---this will only confuse it. Stay quiet as you train your chicken and use treats as a reward..
4.House train your chicken as young as possible..
5.As with any animal, your chicken will have accidents. Have patience and clean up messes immediately..
6.Take your chicken to the veterinarian to keep it free of diseases and parasites..
7.Check local zoning laws before you buy a chicken..
8.Don't keep your chicken inside the whole time even though it is potty trained. They need alot of sunlight
wink.png

Hopefully this method will work for you and if you have any questions please PM me!
cool.png
I also posted this on E-How so you can also go there to read this method!

Thanks Everyone!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Pets are any animal one has chosen to make into a pet.

People have pet snakes for heaven sake, why not a pet chicken?? I kept my lone chicken with me (not in my house but that was my choice) until I was able to get it some flock mates. I know people who have potty trained rabbits - we shoot them and eat em round here and we will kill a snake that becomes a problem. Other people in other countries eat dog and cat and most decidedly horse. People eat pig and people keep pigs as pets.

Every now and again you gotta wonder why we keep kids in the house! They are hard as the dickens to potty train - takes years! They make enormous messes, destroy your furniture and often smell bad.... But keeping 'em in the barn gets you in trouble... Go figure.
lol.png

Quote:
I bring my chickens inside if it is extremely hot, storming, etc. They have a better quality of life than most poultry or livestock, and I think they appreciate that. I have two big parrot cages and will let them stay inside every once in a while. They get way more attention this way, and get to associate with my other animals which makes the dogs protective over them and everyone well rounded.

I dont think a chicken is much different than a cat or guinea pig. In China, people eat cats and keep them as pets too. A chicken is a ton more fun than a dang guinea pig! I have one chicken that is truly my pet. He wears a diaper when inside and I let him roam around or snuggle with me while on the computer. When I first got him, he sat in my lap on the car ride home, snuggled in my neck and took naps, definitely was a pet from the beginning.

I may be off my rocker, but I also care for my animals more than I do myself sometimes. Sure chickens are not normal pets, but dogs and cats were wild once too!
D.gif

I've used this method to housebreak parrots before (I prefer to keep them out of cages as much as possible), but I never thought it would work on a chicken. Interesting.

Quote:
I bring my chickens inside if it is extremely hot, storming, etc. They have a better quality of life than most poultry or livestock, and I think they appreciate that. I have two big parrot cages and will let them stay inside every once in a while. They get way more attention this way, and get to associate with my other animals which makes the dogs protective over them and everyone well rounded.

I dont think a chicken is much different than a cat or guinea pig. In China, people eat cats and keep them as pets too. A chicken is a ton more fun than a dang guinea pig! I have one chicken that is truly my pet. He wears a diaper when inside and I let him roam around or snuggle with me while on the computer. When I first got him, he sat in my lap on the car ride home, snuggled in my neck and took naps, definitely was a pet from the beginning.

I may be off my rocker, but I also care for my animals more than I do myself sometimes. Sure chickens are not normal pets, but dogs and cats were wild once too!
D.gif

That is exactly what I meant! When it is extremely hot or storming, some coops just aren't enough! If you buy chickens, you gotta take care of them the right way! It has also been proved that chickens can be pets, not just livestock or something....

To each his own. Different strokes. All those cliches. Just because you wouldn't think of doing something, thinking it's crazy, doesn't mean someone else shouldn't try it in their own way for their own reasons. Tolerance.

Personally, I like my chickens outside in their own coop and pen. However, on occasion one may need to reside in the house due to illness, injury, or because the weather requires it.

I have a large dog kennel set up in the garage for the "guest". Every couple of hours, I haul the chicken out of its kennel and perch it on the window shelf where I have a newspaper. Without ever needing to resort to formal training, the bird always obliges, in short order, with a nice deposit. Then maybe a treat, and back into the kennel. It's been my experience they almost never poop in the kennel as long as I give them a potty break every couple of hours.

Sometimes I like to bring inside, one at a time, hens who have demonstrated an affinity for cuddling. We have a short session of one-on-one time in my lap, then back to chicken world they go.

But that's just me. My house smells fine. Like to keep it that way.

Back
Top Bottom