Thank you all! So current plan - add roofing to the run and add a window for ventilation on that front side so it’ll be protected from the elements by the new roof. Then add 1/2” hardware cloth all over the exterior of run (including under the roofing) and burry it down in the ground or do an apron. Reinforce or replace latches.

How much would you pay someone to do all that for you? I have someone quoting me $25 an hour and 15 hours work. Does that seem right? I’m about to sit down and calculate material costs to see if I can afford to swing this. I have a wild 2 year old and no help so it’s not something I can take on alone.
Also, does the hardware cloth need to be plastic coated? I read somewhere that’s better. Is that the case? Thanks all!

The usual galvanized stuff should be fine, as far as hardware cloth.

I'm not inclined to do big projects myself so I'd be willing to pay someone else to do it and that time/cost projecting doesn't sound unreasonable to me - my time has value too, and I know it takes me longer to get stuff done (like adding hardware cloth to a run, I can do it but it takes me a couple of days, a few hours at a time, and of course I risk getting my fingers all poked up from the wire). I assume you'd need to provide the materials though?

The usual galvanized stuff should be fine, as far as hardware cloth.

I'm not inclined to do big projects myself so I'd be willing to pay someone else to do it and that time/cost projecting doesn't sound unreasonable to me - my time has value too, and I know it takes me longer to get stuff done (like adding hardware cloth to a run, I can do it but it takes me a couple of days, a few hours at a time, and of course I risk getting my fingers all poked up from the wire). I assume you'd need to provide the materials though?

Yep, I’d provide the materials. I’m about to go start pricing stuff but I don’t totally know what I need so figuring that out at the moment

Thank you all! So current plan - add roofing to the run and add a window for ventilation on that front side so it’ll be protected from the elements by the new roof. Then add 1/2” hardware cloth all over the exterior of run (including under the roofing) and burry it down in the ground or do an apron. Reinforce or replace latches.

How much would you pay someone to do all that for you? I have someone quoting me $25 an hour and 15 hours work. Does that seem right? I’m about to sit down and calculate material costs to see if I can afford to swing this. I have a wild 2 year old and no help so it’s not something I can take on alone.
Also, does the hardware cloth need to be plastic coated? I read somewhere that’s better. Is that the case? Thanks all!

Yep, I’d provide the materials. I’m about to go start pricing stuff but I don’t totally know what I need so figuring that out at the moment

I am in Loveland as well.

I assume you have limited or no tools.

Roofing your run will be more involved and expensive than adding awning windows. The roof will need a slope so snow does not build up.

If you are on the west side I would consider the hot wire. On the east side?...few bears ever make it that far.

We could literally walk you through how to do what is needed. Tools would run under $200. Materials...well that will vary.
Gaining the ability to do things yourself....well that is priceless.

I am in Loveland as well.

I assume you have limited or no tools.

Roofing your run will be more involved and expensive than adding awning windows. The roof will need a slope so snow does not build up.

If you are on the west side I would consider the hot wire. On the east side?...few bears ever make it that far.

We could literally walk you through how to do what is needed. Tools would run under $200. Materials...well that will vary.
Gaining the ability to do things yourself....well that is priceless.

I’m so torn if I’m up for the job myself or not. I have a two year old and not much help so I feel like I would never actually get it done.
I am south west of Longmont. Bears are definitely around but not in abundance...
My dad has some tools. Is there a list of tools I’d need somewhere?
Thank you!!!

Look at Resource in Boulder and up this way, Uncle Benny's for some good architectural salvage and reuse materials to save on materials. I am building my new coop from all sourced free materials and so far all I've put into it are some 2x4 lumber and a couple of sheets of plywood. Everything else is pallets or someone else's stuff they wanted to get rid of that is perfectly usable. 21hens-incharge was kind enough to provide tar paper for the roof.

I hear ya on the kiddo front. I'm building mine w "help" from a 5 yo and being s spirited one, projects done since he was born have been a bit intense at times. :)

I’m so torn if I’m up for the job myself or not. I have a two year old and not much help so I feel like I would never actually get it done.
I am south west of Longmont. Bears are definitely around but not in abundance...
My dad has some tools. Is there a list of tools I’d need somewhere?
Thank you!!!

A really short list of what it can be done with.....

a drilling with a 1/8th inch but for making pilot holes and a hole saw a 3/4 inch will work for making holes for a jig saw blade to fit in.

A jig saw with a regular wood cutting blade.

a driver to run screws in....I like an impact driver.

The drill and impact driver are the higher cost tools. They run about 150 for the set when not on sale. Christmas is a good time to get them for less.
A jig saw runs about $50.

I would secure the hardware cloth using 1x2 furring strips. Those are narrow enough drilling pilot holes is really really needed.
Basically it sandwiches the wire between it and the board on the inside of the coop. It is a very secure way to do it.

Sunrise.superman has seen my coops in person. Yup I, an old lady built them. :p

Seriously if I was not mere days away from being super busy with a new puppy I would come help and bring tools.

Back
Top Bottom