You could move the roosts over closer to where the camera is in this photo (I assume that's your access door where you're taking the picture from?), so the closer roost is close to the door (I think 1 foot away was the optimum distance, but whatever you have room for that will give them room to maneuver), and the farther roost moves to where the closer roost currently is. Then you can open up big vents where the holes are now, and attach a vertical partition down from the ceiling to block off direct drafts blowing towards the chickens. Sort of like this:
View attachment 1936250
Even better, close the holes currently across from the camera, open up a bigger vent where the holes on the left side wall are, and cut out another big vent across from them on the right side wall up near the top. So you get a cross breeze between the two walls to move air around, but nothing is blowing towards the roosts, and the partition should keep any remaining drafts from blowing on the chickens.

Wouldn't that be the same as just moving the far roost?

If roosts are moved I definitely recommend making them removable so cleaning is easier.

The height limitations definitely make things more challenging.

Tossing a CRAZY idea out there.........
maybe build a coop off the nest box side that is a 4x8 walk in style.....keep the current coop minus the wall into the run making it a covered porch for the birds......
I know it sounds hard but it really would open up a world of better options.
May be currently cost prohibitive but a long term plan perhaps....

I’m scared I’ll get back luck with sexing and end up with a bunch of roosters or lose some baby chicks (hopefully not). I just want 6 chickens in the end so I’m trying to figure out if it’s bad to get the 2 extra chicks (8 total) to account for that.

One option: get 2 each of six breeds, and plan to butcher 6 of the 12. That lets you keep the better of each pair.

What's makes one better than another? Correct gender, no crossed beak or other obvious problems, did not already die, not an escape artist. After that, better is whichever one you just like better--friendliest and prettiest are the obvious traits when selecting pet hens.

Note, this ONLY works if you really WILL butcher the extra ones!

Wouldn't that be the same as just moving the far roost?

If roosts are moved I definitely recommend making them removable so cleaning is easier.

The height limitations definitely make things more challenging.

Tossing a CRAZY idea out there.........
maybe build a coop off the nest box side that is a 4x8 walk in style.....keep the current coop minus the wall into the run making it a covered porch for the birds......
I know it sounds hard but it really would open up a world of better options.
May be currently cost prohibitive but a long term plan perhaps....

Oooh this is a good idea for the future....

One option: get 2 each of six breeds, and plan to butcher 6 of the 12. That lets you keep the better of each pair.

What's makes one better than another? Correct gender, no crossed beak or other obvious problems, did not already die, not an escape artist. After that, better is whichever one you just like better--friendliest and prettiest are the obvious traits when selecting pet hens.

Note, this ONLY works if you really WILL butcher the extra ones!

I like to think that I’d be able to go through with it, but I think I’m too soft.

You could move the roosts over closer to where the camera is in this photo (I assume that's your access door where you're taking the picture from?), so the closer roost is close to the door (I think 1 foot away was the optimum distance, but whatever you have room for that will give them room to maneuver), and the farther roost moves to where the closer roost currently is. Then you can open up big vents where the holes are now, and attach a vertical partition down from the ceiling to block off direct drafts blowing towards the chickens. Sort of like this:
View attachment 1936250
Even better, close the holes currently across from the camera, open up a bigger vent where the holes on the left side wall are, and cut out another big vent across from them on the right side wall up near the top. So you get a cross breeze between the two walls to move air around, but nothing is blowing towards the roosts, and the partition should keep any remaining drafts from blowing on the chickens.

I should add that there are also vent holes in the big door, where I took the picture from. Should I be closing those up, as well as the far ones? I’m not sure there’s is room to put the second roost bar right next to the door without the bar being too close to the door or other roost. I’m so lost on what to do.

I should add that there are also vent holes in the big door, where I took the picture from. Should I be closing those up, as well as the far ones? I’m not sure there’s is room to put the second roost bar right next to the door without the bar being too close to the door or other roost. I’m so lost on what to do.
Have you gone out there when the wind is blowing? I can't tell from the picture how far above the roosts the vent holes are. Will it blow on their heads or over them?

I’m so lost on what to do.
Wait...and give yourself time to improve coop before getting chicks. ;)
There's a lot to do here...I know it's hard to wait,
but might be much harder if you end up with an untenable situation in the middle of winter with live animals not having a good place to live.

Wait...and give yourself time to improve coop before getting chicks. ;)
There's a lot to do here...I know it's hard to wait,
but might be much harder if you end up with an untenable situation in the middle of winter with live animals not having a good place to live.

I made a newbie mistake and now it’s too late so I need to figure it out pronto! Haha.
I’ve locked down a handy man and am ready to go, I just need to figure out what exactly to do.

Back
Top Bottom