How to prevent frostbite?

@aart Thanks much for the ventilation link - instead of writing things over and over again about ventilation....I'll just share your link. Well written!

oops. well, thanks for sharing anyways! just checked the moisture and ventilation in my own coop. the temps are dipping down sharply to about 10 degrees tonight.

oops. well, thanks for sharing anyways! just checked the moisture and ventilation in my own coop. the temps are dipping down sharply to about 10 degrees tonight.
Same here! I was so worried about my chickens after I heard how cold it was going to be!

Last edited:
show me some adequate one:D
Here's a pic of some adequate ventilation for winter. Insufficient fresh air flow/ventilation in the winter, is one of the biggest contributors to frostbite. I have BRs, and they have some good sized combs, and none of them, have ever suffered from frostbite.

900x900px-LL-f52d3bc5_55557_img_1349.jpeg

Hi there,

Sorry about your chickens. We always put Vaseline on our hens combs and wattles. I know it sounds disgusting, but you have to rub on well. Ours had been getting frostbite, but since we applied it, they seem to be doing better. Hope this helps!!

I have cochins as well. One of them already had frostbite before I got her and a lot of her comb was gone. Hope you can figure it out! I am going to put Petroleum Jelly on mine. It will not do any harm I suppose. 

I've never tried the petroleum jelly, but the temps where I live tonight were well below 4, so I put all my cochin hens in our barn with our 3 month olds. I hope it all goes well. I'm getting tired of this cold weather!

Hi there,

Sorry about your chickens. We always put Vaseline on our hens combs and wattles. I know it sounds disgusting, but you have to rub on well. Ours had been getting frostbite, but since we applied it, they seem to be doing better. Hope this helps!!
Oh interesting! Good to know thanks :)

I've never tried the petroleum jelly, but the temps where I live tonight were well below 4, so I put all my cochin hens in our barn with our 3 month olds. I hope it all goes well. I'm getting tired of this cold weather!
I think it worked for me. Someone had told me that my rooster would have frost bite after it got cold,but I think it is working!

Back
Top Bottom