How to prevent frostbite?

I have used "Bag Balm" available in farm stores. It is like Vaseline in constiancy but also has healing property's. The idea is to put a moisture barrier between the skin of the comb and the moist air so that the comb doesn't freeze. Roosters with large combs don't tuck their heds under their wings at night like the hens with smaller combs do.

Last edited:
I put petroleum jelly on mine and they DID NOT LIKE IT ONE BIT but I got the job done. I even went out at night after they were asleep like folks said to do but they sure woke up - fast. We've had several nights and days in the low teens and they are fine so it was certainly worth it.

I have used "Bag Balm" available in farm stores. It is like Vaseline in constiancy but also has healing property's. The idea is to put a moisture barrier between the skin of the comb and the moist air so that the comb doesn't freeze. Roosters with large combs don't tuck their heds under their wings at night like the hens with smaller combs do.

I use the "Bag Balm" for leg mites n such on Feet, since it's been in teens lately " Uncommon for this area " Thanks
thumbsup.gif

I'll keep a can handy, Good to know.

Winter here gets cold.
-30 to -35*C is the norm any given December-February. Last year we got -50 to -56 for a whole week in late(?)Jan. none of my roosters came out unscathed. Even the Chanteclers froze their little pea combs. I had few birds freeze to death in the coop on the floor, riight by the chicken door.
Personally I've found regular lard or bacon grease works really well. I thought I'd try petroleum jelly because I had read or heard somewhere to use it. Of course that's when we would get that -50 week. I went back to lard this year to find the White Leghorn roosters are still getting frostbite.
I guess trial and error is my favourite learning tool. Also, what works for one may not necessarily work for another.
Good luck.

The only 100% prevention of frostbite is to not expose the birds to sub freezing temps, frostbite won't happen if the temps are above freezing, but there are some preventative measure that can help and provide good results, especially in cold weather tolerant breeds...

With proper ventilation that keeps the humidity low (below 60%) you can prevent frostbite in mild to moderate freezing temps aka above about 0°F... High humidity drastically increases frostbite at these mild/moderate temps even at very mild freezing temps like 32°F frostbite can happen if the humidity is high... As the temps continue to fall into the sever freezing temps (F° negative numbers) the humidity also needs to continue to fall, aiming for below 40% humidity is a good reference point... But, as the temps continue to fall into the double digit negative F°, and one is attempting to use humidity to hold frostbite at bay, your success rate will start to fail as humidity plays less and less of a role at these extreme temps, and even with low humidity you run the risk of frostbite on any exposed skin just due to sheer cold...

If you have cold intolerant birds, sick birds, injured birds, or elderly birds that can drastically reduce the protection offered by lowering the humidity, and IMO the reality is SAFE heating might be a better choice...

I am a first time chicken owner in the Black Hills of SD.
Last week it got down into the negatives at night. I don't think my girls got any frostbite but I'm liking the idea of the bag balm.
Does anyone have a photo of a frostbitten chicken comb?

Yes I am curious also! What does a frostbite look like? I imagine a white comb..

Also, I've seen many thread about frostbites, but how to you treat them? Anything special we need to do if it ever happens? I guess not, it is not like an exposed wound.

My last dumb question... you all have nice rooster that let you pick them up and put vaseline on their combs?!?! Not sure mine would appreciate. I think I would probably chase him around everytime I need to put vaseline on. At the end of winter he'd probably hate me from chasing him all the time!

I use petroleum jelly on my he's combs and legs to help prevent frost bite. Just apply it to them just like you would apply it to your own lips and rub it in gently. It doesn't take much. Also ventilation is very important to and do not leave anything wet in your coop. After they finish drinking their water remove it from the coop and bring fresh water out later in the day and evening. Good luck and hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom