How to prevent frostbite?

Can I use coconut oil instead of Vaseline? It's also got healing properties like bag balm...and I'll put some lavander oil in it just because

Yes, I don't see why you couldn't. It hardens a bit when its cool so it would be like a shell. I would personally use coconut oil before I used vaseline. Just out of personal preference.

We used to put vaseline over the outside of the door locks on our car, to stop the lock from freezing but that was "back in the day". We have central locking now.
I just thought I would throw that in there to prove that it does form a barrier to stop things from freezing

We used to put vaseline over the outside of the door locks on our car, to stop the lock from freezing but that was "back in the day". We have central locking now.
I just thought I would throw that in there to prove that it does form a barrier to stop things from freezing
What it forms...... is a moisture barrier....for both locks and chicken combs.

Tho anything 'sticky' can attract dirt which can then hold moisture.

Yes I am curious also! What does a frostbite look like? I imagine a white comb..

Also, I've seen many thread about frostbites, but how to you treat them? Anything special we need to do if it ever happens? I guess not, it is not like an exposed wound.

My last dumb question... you all have nice rooster that let you pick them up and put vaseline on their combs?!?! Not sure mine would appreciate. I think I would probably chase him around everytime I need to put vaseline on. At the end of winter he'd probably hate me from chasing him all the time!
here is some advice on ur roo, if u can get him with a treat and after u pick him up wrap with towel around him so he will stay secure while u Vaseline him up. Then give him atreat out of ur hand right before you let him go. He will associate them together and start to like it. Hope it helps.

This may be a stupid question. Is there an actual way to gauge the humidity in the coop or do you just stick your head in? Like, "No. That's definitely 70%."

This may be a stupid question. Is there an actual way to gauge the humidity in the coop or do you just stick your head in? Like, "No. That's definitely 70%."

Use a humidity meter...

http://www.walmart.com/ip/AcuRite-Digital-Humidity-and-Temperature-Monitor/16888914

The one above is nice because it logs the 24 hour high and low for both humidity and temperature... So you only need to check it once a day and you will know if the humidity was good over the last 24 hours... Note, the 24 hour period starts when you put the battery in, so put the battery in at sunset and then when you check it anytime the next day when the sun is out, the high/low readings will reflect the last day and most importantly the overnight high/lows...

BTW that is the same model I use in my coop...

I heat my coop, as you can see from the temp high/low since it was single digits overnight, so I don't have to worry about the humidity being higher, usually it's lower...

Last edited:
I have used "Bag Balm" available in farm stores. It is like Vaseline in constiancy but also has healing property's. The idea is to put a moisture barrier between the skin of the comb and the moist air so that the comb doesn't freeze. Roosters with large combs don't tuck their heds under their wings at night like the hens with smaller combs do.

Ditto the Bag Balm! Gets very cold here and our climate is pretty dry. Have yet to have anyone lose combs to frostbite.

Last year I heard if you put Vaseline on the comb it will protect it from frostbite. I did it. No one got frostbite.

Back
Top Bottom