How to professionally harvest an aggressive roo

I don’t have running water, or easy access to clean water, I can only bring 24 gallons up at a time here.
Mmmmmkay, idea. Hand pluck what you can from their stinky side before scalding, and perhaps soap up with a wash cloth and wipe down with a clean water cloth in that same area before you scald them... I think that would work without overextending your water supply.

Mmmmmkay, idea. Hand pluck what you can from their stinky side before scalding, and perhaps soap up with a wash cloth and wipe down with a clean water cloth in that same area before you scald them... I think that would work without overextending your water supply.

Good idea! I also tried dry plucking 2 of my LH/CCL (white) cockerels on my first go... aside from most of the wing, tail and some of the breast feathers that wasn’t too bad either, nowhere near as easy as after scalding though! Oh, another good suggestion is to watch lots of you tube videos on the process prior to doing it, also handy for creeping out some of the more obnoxious staff at the local Pub with the free WiFi.

If they're on the roost they're going to be sitting on their legs. If you try to grab their legs, you're going to get them standing up and riled. Just go in and grab them firmly over their wings with both hands, thumbs to the middle of their back and fingers over the wings. Firm squeeze, pick up, tuck under your arm like a football, and then grab the legs with your free hand if they're kicking. Much less drama.
Ditto Dat^^^
If you're just moving them to the crates.

Wow, you all give the most wonderful information. I'm still conflicted about whether to grab by the legs of around the wings, Only one way to find out which works best for me, I guess.
Have you handled your birds before? Grabbing around the body and wings, then 'footballing' really is the best way to keep them under control, but it takes some practice. Only time I hold a bird by the legs is when I'm lowering them into the killing cone, then into the scalder.

Wash with coffee grounds.

I love this idea and am totally going to try it.

Really once you're past the killing part there isn't anything horrible about processing and the only this is definitely if you eat a sandwich with the lingering smell on your hands but no it's not bad unless you have a very sensitive nose or don't know that there is a smell to guts.

Also it really helps if you are scalding/plucking/gutting outside where there is some airflow. Quail aren't bad in thr house but chickens the smell tends to concentrate indoors. LOL

I carry my rescue pet Cornish cross like that. I just thought that the roosters would be too much for me. They're large breed chickens, Light Brahmas. I'm 5 foot nothing and 67 years old and inexperienced. But I can't get them by grabbing them by the wings and body the first night, I'll try the leg grabbing the next night.

OP here

I will take ownership of said trouble maker on Saturday and ill make sure to give a full report. A country friend of mine is coming by to show me a cerebral dislocation method hes experienced in. might end up using that method, will report back.
Sorry that we've kinda taken over your thread :oops:

Back
Top Bottom