How to professionally harvest an aggressive roo

The best way to kill him is the way you can. What I mean by that is that you do not want to flinch or close your eyes at the wrong time, you need to be able to do the task. I use the hatchet and stump method, but I grew up doing that. I would not recommend someone not familiar with using an ax or hatchet to try it. You are used to using a cone so that makes sense for you. Use your experience.

It's usually pretty easy to get them off of the roost after dark, though it sounds like he will probably fight once you get hold of him. He sounds like a real demon. I'd tape or tie his legs together when you get him. You can try wrapping his wings in a sheet or large towel to help keep him under control. Covering the head should also calm him own a lot. Mainly just be careful and wear leather gloves where appropriate. And enjoy that soup.

Oh yeah absolutely we have done roosters over 2 years old and we rest all of our birds in the fridge before eating for at least 3-4 days. We've done as high as a week because we got busy and forgot we had kept one bird out to eat that week.

Not we have toasted many older birds and as long as they are rested and cooked low and slow with moist heat they are nice and tender.

There's just two of us so we often pull the meat off the bones and throw it in the slow cooker with bbq for the leftovers. Makes great pulled chicken sandwiches.

I must butcher 2 roosters. I have never done this before so I am not looking to doing what I must do.

A while back I read a thread here that told me exactly how to do the deed. I have searched but I cannot find it. Can anyone here point me to the thread, please?

I must butcher 2 roosters. I have never done this before so I am not looking to doing what I must do.

A while back I read a thread here that told me exactly how to do the deed. I have searched but I cannot find it. Can anyone here point me to the thread, please?
Don't know which thread, but here's a youtube video that you can watch on the subject.

BTW, you can skip the scalding and plucking if you don't mind sacrificing the skin, but it really takes longer to bring the water to temperature than it takes to scald & pluck. Don't be intimidated, You can do it.

Would be pretty hard to find that thread...but you might browse thru the meat birds section to look for tips:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/meat-birds-etc.21/

I found this blog very helpful as I prepared to slaughter my first bird:
http://ramblingredneckmom.blogspot.com/2011/04/how-to-process-chickens-at-home.html

I will ask my neighbor who hunts deer and slaughters them to "hold my hand" and guide me through the process. Many thanks to those who helped me with this.
Was your neighbor unable to help?

I'm bad at asking for help. Both neighbors know what I am planning but neither has volunteered so I dropped it and will do it by my self (with a little help from my internet friends).

I already looked at the meat bird forum. I may not have looked hard enough.

I have always found doing the culling the hard part, but once that is over, it goes much better. It will take some time for the first ones, but eventually you get better.

Mrs K

Yeah, the killing part is the had part for me as well. I know because I used to raise dairy goats and you have do do something with the extra males...I'm glad that I have the cone for the chickens. It will help not being able to see the entire bird when I do the job.

I sure that I know how to do everything. I was hoping to find the thread that I was looking for because it described the entire process in text. I figured that if I got nervous or unsure of myself I could just refer to it to reassure myself.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Back
Top Bottom