How to sex buff Orpingtons?

I have chickens born jan 20. Im worried we may have roosters. Any clues???

:welcome

Those are all hens :) . Looks like the bird front and center is going to be giving you an egg in the next few weeks. 

Ok, wait... I have 12 BOs, straight run, and 8/12 of them have significantly larger, brighter red combs.... while the other 4 have combs that are more flesh colored or yellowish... is this not an accurate way to sex them??

Also, how in the world do you tell if they are getting ready to lay an egg by looking at them?? :eek:

" I have 12 BOs, straight run, and 8/12 of them have significantly larger, brighter red combs.... while the other 4 have combs that are more flesh colored or yellowish.."

This is late but....IMHO I would think that they are cockerels. But then you probably know by now. I sex them by waiting till one hops on the poor sweet little hen and she screams. Then they get caught and moved. I'm just saying .... '

They're all serial rapists.

[COLOR=333333]This is late but....IMHO I would think that they are cockerels. But then you probably know by now. I sex them by waiting till one hops on the poor sweet little hen and she screams. Then they get caught and moved. I'm just saying .... '[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]They're all serial rapists.[/COLOR]

Thank you! Did you see my other post? Asking about processing BOs for meat? If not, your post couldn't have come at a better time. I'm having some issues with my roosters ganging up on the hens. I'm tired of it. I know they are just doing what roosters do, but I have too many. It's time to cull. My oldest BO roosters were hatched April 3rd and then I have a second group that was hatched a month later. All straight run. All but one or two of the roosters are off to freezer camp. Bad for them. Good for me and my hens. :)

We could tell my buff Orpington roosters apart at about a month... As soon as the underside of their heads where their wattles would be turned red we could tell them apart, because the hens had no red under there. We ended up with 5 roosters and 9 hens when we hatched them ourselves.

Back
Top Bottom