How to socialize chciks

rockthecoop

Chirping
7 Years
Jan 17, 2013
Hi, I recently just got chicks and I don't know how to socialize them. I tried holding them but they squirm and cry. What do I do? I don't want them to turn out like our other chickens,they aren't very friendly.

Hold em', feed by hand, and watch out for "Pasting up in chicks", and be nice to them, i don't have any
hide.gif
other advice i could offer. oh, the title's not a problem,rockthecoop we all make mistakes.
wee.gif

maybe letting them run around alittle and making them comfortable would help

Last edited:
Here's what I did - and it only worked 50/50.
Everytime I went to the brooder I would carefully scoop up a chick and hold it enclosed in my hands until it was calm and still. Then with my hands down on the floor of the brooder I would let the chick's feet touch the floor but still hold it loosly in my hands. If it tried to bolt, I'd slightly close in on it (the flapping and jumping seemed to feed on itself). If it was still and calm, I'd open my hands a little. Back and forth until I could remove my hands and it didn't try to bolt but walked away calmly. Out of 5 chicks, I have 2 hens that will sit on/with me, 1 that will eat from my hand and let me pet her back, 1 that will eat from my hand but doesn't like to be touched and 1 that won't come anywhere near me.
I think that they are mostly instinct driven and you have to sort of mold that instinct to see you as a protector and provider instead of preditor.

Last edited:
this is my first year with chicks/chickens :)

What I did with my chicks was, in addition to handling them (some of them HATE it!) was just to be present. The more I am around them, the tamer they seem to be. Today several came up to me in their pen to peck at my hands. I even got a few head scritches in to a few who had been previously avoiding me.

I also got older pullets to start with, and same thing. Spend time, give treats, talk nicely. They all come running and will eat out of my hand and let me pet/pick up.
good luck :)

OHHH MY, I have been doing this very thing, I am new to this as well, however , I have noticed the more I work with them the more and more friendlier they get, another thing that is working for me is to call them with a clicking noise as I pat my leg, and NOW those girls come a running..........its great fun trying to figure these gals out!!!

I also agree with picking them up and NOT letting it go till it is calm, ( being gentle of course), I do this everytime I enter the outside pen, they are getting use to it, so hopefully It will be a good outcome.

We have our first chicks, 8 Dominiques. I have been picking them up (gently) twice a day I move them to a box to clean up. Plus I just play with them some. They are one week old and we've had them five days. They have become quite calm about it, and will let me pick them up any old way. When I put my hand in the brooder box, some will jump on the back of my hand and run up my arm! They seem to like petting in the throat and breast areas.

Back
Top Bottom