How to stop chicks from kicking bedding into their water?

loyalcrowlist

Songster
Apr 9, 2022
I have seven chicks in an area a little over 45 sq. ft. with four different waterers and they all get bedding kicked into them multiple times a day. I've tried elevating them which seems to help a little but, boy, they're great at kicking things. It's possible I'm over-thinking this because usually out of the four there's one or two that has minimal bedding but it worries me. The waterers I have, I haven't figured out a way to hang them but if anyone has any ideas on that front, I'd appreciate it.

Also how good are waterers with nipples and are chicks who haven't used them before good at adapting?

Hi! There is not really a way to stop them from kicking stuff, it’s chicken nature to scratch the ground like that. To stop my own chicks from doing that I elevated a little, ( like you ) and then put some cardboard without shavings on it around the waterer. This stopped most of the shavings from getting into the water. I hope this helped! :D

I love this idea-
images 4.25.10 PM.jpeg

I'd imagine it would help solve your problem.

Hi! There is not really a way to stop them from kicking stuff, it’s chicken nature to scratch the ground like that. To stop my own chicks from doing that I elevated a little, ( like you ) and then put some cardboard without shavings on it around the waterer. This stopped most of the shavings from getting into the water. I hope this helped! :D
And they're okay to stand on the cardboard? I know there's a worry with slick surfaces and spraddle leg so I've been trying to avoid anything smooth.

Back
Top Bottom