How to stop dogs from eating chickens??

Sebrights4me

Chirping
Mar 31, 2022
Hello, so just today I was out and about and my younger sister carried 2 of our chickens out from their normal run and I to our backyard. Only problem was that when the dogs were let out. They ate both of them. What can I do to stop this behavior in the future? I have heard that tying a piece of the chicken to their neck and letting it rot is a method for doing so, but does it work?? Thanks for all the help!

P.s. we also have free ranging ducks that we would like to keep safe.

Hello, so just today I was out and about and my younger sister carried 2 of our chickens out from their normal run and I to our backyard. Only problem was that when the dogs were let out. They ate both of them. What can I do to stop this behavior in the future? I have heard that tying a piece of the chicken to their neck and letting it rot is a method for doing so, but does it work?? Thanks for all the help!

The rotten meat/hanging carcasses on dogs thing is an old wives tale. All it will do is either give your dogs a free snack, or get them very sick from the rotten meat/flies/maggots.

Well why the heck would you put chickens with untrained dogs? That whole occurrence was very preventable.

Do not tie a chicken around the dog's neck. It's cruel and just plain nasty. Plus doesn't have any guarantee of doing anything except traumatizing the dog.

Keep the chickens in the run or keep the dogs contained and nobody has to die. Simple.

Years ago I had 2 dogs and they started to kill the the chickens, this is back in the early 80s. The neighbor up farming some land told me to tie the chicken around the dogs neck. Old tale? I did. The chickens got abit smelly, was not pretty. After I took the chickens off I washed the dogs. The dogs never bothered the chickens again.
Fast forward now I have a neighbor not far from me with 2 dogs. The dogs came over and started to attack 1 chicken, I was standing there and across the fence was my new neighbor. He apologized. I see he spends alot of time with his dogs and they have shock collars. His dogs do not bother my chickens and my chickens free range everyday.
Just guessing he has done some training. I do not know, but at times I see the 2 dogs across the fence looking at the chickens , but the dogs stay over on the other side of the fence, they bark and that is it. Also once the chickens see the dogs they usually start to move off in another direction.

Back
Top Bottom