1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How to stop hens sleeping in nest box

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by PaulaSB12, Jun 16, 2012.

1. PaulaSB12

PaulaSB12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2010
    As the title says I have 4 chickens who I found sleeping in two nest boxes so how do I persuade them to sleep else where.

2. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    You could block the openings on the nesting boxes at night and after a few nigh s they might get used to roosting some where else.

3. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    First, they want to roost as high as they can get, so if you make your roosts higher than the nest boxes, those will become a more appealing place to sleep. Second, if you can block off the nests at night, that will discourage them. I actually just installed my nest box unit in my new coop today and I'm going to use feed sacks lightly tacked to the top to block off the nests at night. None of the birds currently in that coop is laying yet but one is looking like she is almost ready so I want to leave her access during the day so she can check them out, but block them at night so they can't sleep in them. I figured feed bags that could hang in front during the night but be flipped up and over to open them up during the day, would be the way to go.

4. PaulaSB12

Dec 6, 2010
    I will try blocking them off tomorrow. The roosting bars are higher than the boxes but my cream legbar seems to think its more comfortable to have your bum on someone elses head.

5. Rock Home Isle

Rock Home Isle Chillin' With My Peeps

My pullets are to young to lay eggs as yet, so I don't have any bedding in the nest boxes. Since there are no shavings in the boxes they are not warm and inviting to the pullets. This has worked great at keeping them from using the boxes.

6. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Would say cover them. I have a bodah box and I would just turn the opening to the wall,and in the am turn it back.

7. Blondiechic

Blondiechic Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2012
    Glad you asked this as my Silkies do the same thing and every evening I go out and move the to the warmer dog kennel I got them. I mean, really, do they seriously think three grown Silkies can fit in one box? Lol

8. PaulaSB12

Dec 6, 2010
    You want to see 4 hens trying to sit in the same nesting box I hope they don't fart or with that small space it wouldn't be good.

9. Mtn Laurel

Mtn Laurel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2012
    Northern Virginia
    My Coop
    My four gals are doing the same thing but - to be fair - I've only had them 3 days so guess they're trying to get used to new surroundings. I decided to block off the nesting boxes last night. As we're in the midst of a nasty heat-wave, I took two empty gallon milk jugs, filled them with water, froze them, and put one in each nesting box. They're in a chicken tractor and the two frozen blocks made a difference in the temperature.

Three of the gals went to the roost. One gal decided to roost on top the nesting box with her butt hanging over the ice jug! While I didn't want her there, I didn't move her as she had the coolest spot in the house.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  10. MonsterClucker

MonsterClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2012
    Anderson, California
    First night home my hens did this so I cut off the piece of wood in front of the nestbox that holds in the shavings, that worked....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by