How To Stop Pecking Order?

Ch1ckens

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 18, 2013
My 3 week old chicks are being quite agressive to one another, they will peck at each other and fly on top on each other. How can I stop this!?!

This is not all all about the pecking order.

Since you say they are 3 weeks old, they are still in the brooder? Thus, I might suggest you use a red lamp, even a lower wattage bulb can be purchased in red.

I'd also suggest that most behavior problems in the brooder is caused by boredom and being crowded.

Yes there still in the brooder, I have a red heat lamp and there still being aggresive. They have enough room, I bet they are bored. What can I do to make them less bored?

I like to take a shovel and scoop up a big hunk of sod with grass and dirt and plunk it down in the brooder when they first hatch out. This helps them be exposed a little at a time to coccidia in the soil so they build up gradual immunity. They will chew on the grass and scratch at it. Big rocks and little practice roosts are also good for boredom. If you have a safe way of confining them outside for a little while in the shade, they will be entertained all day. At 3 weeks they should be able to tolerate 75-80 degree temps.

Last edited:
I like to take a shovel and scoop up a big hunk of sod with grass and dirt and plunk it down in the brooder when they first hatch out. This helps them be exposed a little at a time to coccidia in the soil so they build up gradual immunity. They will chew on the grass and scratch at it. Big rocks and little practice roosts are also good for boredom. If you have a safe way of confining them outside for a little while in the shade, they will be entertained all day. At 3 weeks they should be able to tolerate 75-80 degree temps.

I agree. We took our bunch of 3 weeks old chicks out for field trips to the lawn. We had a ball with them yesterday. Good photo moment too. Our highs are now 80-85 degrees, so they don't benefit from being under a lamp during the day anymore. At night, with our lows in the mid 60's, they only need a tiny bit of added warmth.

At four and a half weeks? In the summer? No more brooder. The days are HOT and the nights are warm. Time to live out in a grow out pen situation where there is a spacious room with many things to occupy their interest.

Back
Top Bottom