How to stop them soaking the brooder

Emily26

Chirping
Apr 12, 2021
The first lot of chicks I raised absolutely soaked the sawdust of their brooder pretty much hourly. What's the best way to stop this, will raising the waterer do the trick?
or am I better to use newspaper flooring for quick changes as this is just what chicks do...?

The first lot of chicks I raised absolutely soaked the sawdust of their brooder pretty much hourly. What's the best way to stop this, will raising the waterer do the trick?
or am I better to use newspaper flooring for quick changes as this is just what chicks do...?
Pine shavings work well for me. Raising the waterer about half an inch off the ground should help.

What kind of waterer are you using and how is it set up? A photo might help.

It sounds like your waterer is somehow leaking. That's why I'd like to see what you are working with. If it is leaking you need to stop the leak. Without knowing what you are working with I can't give any good suggestions on how to do that.

To me, raising the waterer is more about stopping them from scratching bedding into it than stopping a leak or keeping it drier.

1. Definitely make sure it isn’t leaking I’ve found the one that has slots that “lock” together will leak if it’s not completely flat.
2. Absolutely raise it on a few wood blocks, or any type of object that takes it off the floor.
3. I used wood shavings and actually did a deep litter method (bedding? Whatever is the dry one) and I found it super useful. I do this with my large chickens too.
4. Chicks are bound to make a hot mess of anything but hopefully making a few adjustments will help!

I put their food and water on a cookie sheet with a rack in it. This kept the water and food separated from the shavings.

Attachments

• DDACEF6E-A868-46DB-87E5-525D5A67094B.jpeg
    DDACEF6E-A868-46DB-87E5-525D5A67094B.jpeg
    529.2 KB · Views: 10
I put the waterer on a brick or a few pieces of scrap wood to raise it up. Depending on the waterer style and the design of your brooder you can possibly suspend the waterer.
I do this as well. I aim to have the wood or brick big enough for the chicks stand on. They do poop on it but it’s better than wet litter.

Back
Top Bottom