How to store bedding? loose pinestraw

TLWR

Crowing
11 Years
Jul 10, 2010
southern AL
What is a good way to store mass amounts of loose pine straw? I raked up a few small spots in the yard and have 2 piles and lots of yard left to get more from. I'd like it to not be in 18932 piles around the yard LOL

What is a good way to store it so it doesn't get nasty before I want to use it for duck bedding?
I was thinking maybe build a little bin for it and raise it up off the ground a tiny bit. But can it be open storage or does it need to be covered and fully enclosed?
I live in Southern Alabama, so it is hot during the summer and not so bad in the winter - we had some good freezes last winter (my first here).
So - suggestions?

If it were me I'd make bins out of pallets to allow air flow and lightly cover it with a tarp to prevent rain from saturating it.

I like the pallet idea, maybe line the inside with some sort of fence wire? I was going to put a wanted add on CL for some of that stuff, but I need a way to store it! Will have to go get it with garbage bags, but if they're not totally dry, I know I can't store them in it.

Will it store well in large storage bins if it is totally dry? I'd like to have a small stockpile of dry stuff for when it is raining out.
We'll skip the pallet and tarp idea, but maybe a box built in a similar fashion - maybe with fencing or something.

Does it have to be covered or not? Or SHOULD instead of HAVE?
Does it need ventilation?

I just don't want it starting to break down faster than it has to in it's storage area.

It needs to be dry, any dampness at all and it'll start breaking down or getting funky. Do you have a concrete driveway or patio you can spread it out on to dry it on a sunny day, and then pack it away in the plastic bins?

Covered for sure, ventilated if there is dampness to it.. depends on how long it's been sitting off the tree and the last time it rained. I'd imagine if you got it as dry as possible you should be able to store it in the plastic bins.

Back
Top Bottom