How to tame chickens? (ISA Brown)

Izzyisdizzy11

Songster
Jan 25, 2021
I got two ISA Brown chickens almost a week ago, they are roughly three weeks from laying age. I'd like to be able to hold them, and I have already got them to eat from my hand, but are still scared of being held. When there is someone holding each chicken they seem to calm down a lot and even close their eyes, however there's not always two people available. Any tips or tricks I can use? Should I keep on holding them every day or only do that when they've fully gained my trust?

Well start by them just eating in front of you without you going after them so that way they will come around and not be afraid you are gonna snatch them....then slowly put it in a bowl on your lap without touching them then slowly just start petting them and slowly they will get used to you and you will be able to pet them and hold them and they might even start following you around....make sure you talk to them during them process so they know your voice

Well start by them just eating in front of you without you going after them so that way they will come around and not be afraid you are gonna snatch them....then slowly put it in a bowl on your lap without touching them then slowly just start petting them and slowly they will get used to you and you will be able to pet them and hold them and they might even start following you around....make sure you talk to them during them process so they know your voice
Thanks so much! I'll try that, I hadn't thought of leading them onto my lap like that :)

It's a little tougher when you start with older birds vs chicks, but patience and time are key in taming them. Let them come to you (luring them in with treats works well), and don't chase them down. Also keep in mind many chickens don't want to be held regardless of how much you handle them, so if that's the case with some of these birds, best to be friendly with them on their terms.

My ISA Brown is my people friendliest bird. Every morning, when I open the pop door to let the chickens out, she jumps up on a ledge and lets me pet her. I usually pet her belly and chest as I have noticed that if I pet her on the top of her head that she either squats down or gets defensive. I have heard that chickens do no like to be approached from above, it's a predator v. prey issue. So she seems to like a belly rub better.

I have never taken the time to tame my chickens. However, I find that if I move slowly and talk softly, they do not scare as much and will eat out of my hand without a problem. I think if I wanted to go beyond that point, I would have to be very patient and work with them to gain their trust to pick them up. Maybe coax them onto my lap with treats. By nature, I don't think chickens like to be held. But your chickens are still young and you have a good chance to tame them. And, by the way, teenage chickens are just crazy stupid. They mellow out as they get older, so don't get discouraged if they don't want to be held at this point.

My ISA Brown is my people friendliest bird. Every morning, when I open the pop door to let the chickens out, she jumps up on a ledge and lets me pet her. I usually pet her belly and chest as I have noticed that if I pet her on the top of her head that she either squats down or gets defensive. I have heard that chickens do no like to be approached from above, it's a predator v. prey issue. So she seems to like a belly rub better.

I have never taken the time to tame my chickens. However, I find that if I move slowly and talk softly, they do not scare as much and will eat out of my hand without a problem. I think if I wanted to go beyond that point, I would have to be very patient and work with them to gain their trust to pick them up. Maybe coax them onto my lap with treats. By nature, I don't think chickens like to be held. But your chickens are still young and you have a good chance to tame them. And, by the way, teenage chickens are just crazy stupid. They mellow out as they get older, so don't get discouraged if they don't want to be held at this point.
Thanks you so much, it's encouraging to know that they will warm up to me, and I can already see it happening!

It's a little tougher when you start with older birds vs chicks, but patience and time are key in taming them. Let them come to you (luring them in with treats works well), and don't chase them down. Also keep in mind many chickens don't want to be held regardless of how much you handle them, so if that's the case with some of these birds, best to be friendly with them on their terms.
Thank you 👍

Back
Top Bottom