How to tame chickens?

Me + Peeps

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 16, 2009
i got three chickens that were not kept in the best conditions and are not tame i have sat in the run with them hours at a time trying to feed them treats out of my hand the closest they ever came was around 6-8 in when i was dead still. i would really like chickens that i could pick up and stroke and iof they don't fear me i would like to free range them.
hmm.png

The only way I know how to do it is lots of handling as chicks. Sorry!
They can still free range and in time will see you as the treat giver and came running when they see you. This is how our chickens are.

We do not have ours tamed down enough to walk up to them in the yard and pick them up (though it comes really close when we have cold cooked spaghetti for them.)

Years past I have gone in the coop at roost time and picked them up off the roost and handled them to get them used to it, then set them back on the roost But I have never had a chicken that sought me out for cuddling.

From my experience tamming them when they are chicks is about the only way.When adults it's almost to late.Sometimes specific breeds are friendlier then others and just born tame so to speak.
Yours may gain trust over time. Treats always helps, just call them and throw it near them and keep throwing it closer to you each time and eventually they may eat it out of your hand. I'm doubtful they will ever let you pick them up or even let you pet them.My advice would be just get yourself pet friendly adults or chicks to.Good for you though for saving them
smile.png

I also have chicks and they are absolutely in love with me and i am trying to show the larger chickens that i won't hurt them with the chicks

MEALWORMS!!! My chicks were skittish around me until the mealworms, now they run for me anytime I approach them.

I recently brought home 4 pullets and it took me about two weeks before they would allow me to pet them without a fuss. I think part of it is the breed. Some are just not friendly.

What I did was spend time everyday (when I was filling the feeder) holding them, talking to them, etc. Now they recognize who feeds them and also know my voice. I have two that are tamer than the others.

Mine are iffy about me during the day which is a huge improvement. They wouldn't come near me at first. Now I can occasionally get them to let me approach and even pick them up. Well, not the Brown Leghorn. She still keeps her distance. Only mealworms will get her close to me but just close enough to take one from my hand.

This is during the day, at dusk things change a bit. I can go out to the coop and pet them on the roost, even the Brown Leghorn, and while they fidget they don't jump and run. First thing in the morning I go out to the coop and if they are still on the roost I grab them one at a time and hold them for a while. I think this helps.

As dusk is falling I can turn on the light in the living room and open the slider and they will come in and eventually jump up on my chair. My Light Brahma is the easiest to handle under all conditions but oddly enough the Brown Leghorn is the first to jump up on the chair. She jumps down when I reach for her and this goes on for 3 or 4 cycles. Then the Light Brahma will jump up and quickly move into my lap, fidgeting and making noise the whole time. Then the Brown Leghorn will jump back up and move into my lap too. The RIR is the last to jump up and sometimes doesn't at all. She looks at me as if to say "aren't you going to plug in the light in the coop so I can go to bed?", which is what I do when its time to end the chicken party. Its amazing how you can draw them to a light bulb. As soon as everyone is on the roost the doors get fastened and its lights out.

The others seeing your chicks bond to you might help but I would hold them every chance you get. Hopefully they will calm quickly when you grab them. Its sometimes a fight for me but usually they accept that I'm going to hold them for a while.

Good luck.

When we had older chickens years ago they weren't afraid of us and would walk right into the house if the door was left open but they still wouldn't just let us pick them up. The chicks we have now are getting used to me coming into the coop and don't fly to the corner when I go in to feed and sit with them. 2 of them are very friendly. Pete comes over and walks up my leg and then my arm to sit on my shoulder. Maybelline walks over and steps into my hand so I can set her on my leg and she falls asleep there. But there are 24 others who vary from friendly to I don't want you to hold me! They are Rhode Island Reds and are 3 weeks old tomorrow. So who knows as time goes on what we'll have?

I got hens when they were older, so i had to spend lots of time just sitting in their coop, talking to them. They have settled down, and i have proof... the ones i spend the most time with come right up to me
smile.png

So.......

SPEND HOURS IN YOUR CHICKEN COOP!!!!!!!!!
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png

LoveKhlassy

P.S I also try and feed them out of my hand. Only one does it, and only some times.

SPEND TIME WITH YOUR CHICKENS!!!!!!!!!!
smile.png
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom