How to tame chicks (teaching them to not be afraid of you)

I did like others and started by holding food in my outstretched hand. Takes a while for them to warm up, but once one braves it the rest would follow. At 5-6 weeks old, I can only take letting eat out of my hand for a few minutes(their beaks can hurt), but a couple of them like to play "flight" with me. They sit on my hand, which I'll raise up over my head and then drop quickly. They flap their wings for balance but stay on my hand waiting for me to do it again. Kinda funny how much they enjoy it.

I have 7 chicks now. I am attempting to keep them calm and able to be handled by holding them close and petting them every night. I know as a kid, my dad had chickens and I just made sure to handle them every day. My dad's chickens would allow me to walk right up and pet them.

I have 8 chicks and I'm trying to tame them.
So far they will come when I call them....here chickchickchick, they will eat out of my hand, and climb on me while I'm stting down, but they struggle if I try to pick them up and they run away when I try to pet them. Any suggestions?

Sooo I can give them milo? Don't milo and corn look very different? Corn is big yellow seeds and milo is small round and white. (can be red milo)

They are a bit young, they will be squirmy for a couple of weeks, feed them out of your hand before trying to pick them up each time, they will learn to trust you

Back
Top Bottom