How to Tell a Fertile vs INfertile Egg (Pictures)

Pics
and, just to recap.....tell me if im correct or not......

1) a white "dot" = infertile
2) A white "doughnut" = fertile
3) red dots = burst blood vessels, nothing else
4) you can eat fertile as well as infertile with no taste difference and wont notice any other difference
5) when egg is refrigerated, it stops any growth process in the egg

questions;
1) how long can an egg stay in the coop before it is refrigerated and still be edible?
2) if i harvest once a day, will that be suffecient to keep all eggs (fertile or not) edible?

questions;
1) how long can an egg stay in the coop before it is refrigerated and still be edible?
2) if i harvest once a day, will that be suffecient to keep all eggs (fertile or not) edible?

Depends on the outside temps, actually. If it's cool out, for at least a couple of days, I'd say, as long as it's not sat on by a hen(thereby starting incubation). Once a day is completely adequate. If it's really hot out, they eventually will spoil. If cold, they can freeze and crack open if not collected daily.

All of your first statements are correct.​

Last edited:
kwynn's birds Alaska :

I see some nice pics here,
QUESTION...

I know i read it somewhere in this forum, but what are the blood spots? My MIL says it's that the egg is fertile...but i know that's not it. I read that here too. Just wondering...

BLOOD SPOTS
Also called meat spots. Occasionally found on an egg yolk. Contrary to popular opinion, these tiny spots do not indicate a fertilized egg. Rather, they are caused by the rupture of a blood vessel on the yolk surface during formation of the egg or by a similar accident in the wall of the oviduct. Less than 1% of all eggs produced have blood spots.

Mass candling methods reveal most eggs with blood spots and those eggs are removed but, even with electronic spotters, it is impossible to catch all of them. As an egg ages, the yolk takes up water from the albumen to dilute the blood spot so, in actuality, a blood spot indicates that the egg is fresh. Both chemically and nutritionally, these eggs are fit to eat. The spot can be removed with the tip of a knife, if you wish.​

Yes, you can eat them--no problem. Some just leave the blood spot there, but some flick it out with a knife or spoon, before cooking the egg. They aren't harmful.

Usually caused by a bump or injury, so to avoid them, try to keep things calm for your chickens, so they aren't freightened and flapping around bouncing off walls, etc.

Last edited:
I must say ever since reading this my fiance refuses to cook eggs when I'm around, I can't help but to sit there and point out which ones are fertile and which ones aren't. Something about knowing completely grosses him out. I find it fascinating. I've learned so much from byc!!

Quote:
Years ago when the big cholesterol flap over eating eggs took shape, I read somewhere that fertile eggs didn't have the harmful cholesterol. I've just searched the Internet and don't find anything to buttress that argument. Maybe someone knows here?

Sky~

Quote:
Years ago when the big cholesterol flap over eating eggs took shape, I read somewhere that fertile eggs didn't have the harmful cholesterol. I've just searched the Internet and don't find anything to buttress that argument. Maybe someone knows here?

Sky~

I seem to have heard something about that quite some time ago, but also can't find anything to document it, and to be honest, I can't imagine a little rooster sperm would in any way be able to eliminate the cholestrol from an egg. Just my thoughts, however, and would be interested in what some of you have to say on this.

Quote:

Sky~

I seem to have heard something about that quite some time ago, but also can't find anything to document it, and to be honest, I can't imagine a little rooster sperm would in any way be able to eliminate the cholestrol from an egg. Just my thoughts, however, and would be interested in what some of you have to say on this.

All these years, I've imagined that it was due to the egg actually being an animal instead of only an animal product. In the germ it would be bones, beak, feathers, feet and all.

Sky~

Back
Top Bottom