How to Tell a Fertile vs INfertile Egg (Pictures)

Pics
Thanks a lot for this post.

How about these? Why is one yolk covered with white? Anyway.. not very important..

Closer (I can see the white spot is large, but I don't really see the bulls eye):

This one troubles me. Little bull eyes or infertile?

They all look fertile to me, the bullseye can have various forms, be strong or vague....an infertile germinal disc is a small solid white spot.
Not sure what caused the excessive chalaza(that's kind of what it looks like to me).
Are these new layers....how old?

No, not new! They've been laying since may-june, something like that.

Thanks for the feedback. I have three in the incubator right now :) We'll see what happens!

Hi, thankyou very much for this post,
It's very informative.
I'm very new to this and I have been googling and reading through this site for clarification but I can't seem to find it.
I hope you don't mind me asking here but can anyone tell me if these eggs look fertile or not?
My white spots are large but they don't look anywhere near as defined.
I really want to incubate some of my eggs!
[/IMG]

I think I might want them to be fertile so much that I'm "seeing things" :-/
Thanks guys..

Last edited:
I want to be sure I have this right........the chalaza looks like it is mixed into the egg white and the halo in a fertile egg is on the yolk. Is the halo/bullseye a different consistency than the yolk or is it just a different color? The chalaza/ae is to help cushion and protect the yolk? I was told many years ago that is the part the rooster contributed. So that is wrong?

Last edited:
The chalaza has nothing to do with fertility.... yes, it protects the yolk....it will be there whether the egg is fertile or not.
Blastoderm just a different color, whether fertile or not.

You might find this interesting Egg formation video.

Last edited:
The chalaza has nothing to do with fertility.... yes, it protects the yolk....it will be there whether the egg is fertile or not.
Blastoderm just a different color, whether fertile or not.

You might find this interesting Egg formation video.

Thank you! I could not get the video to work, but I found one called The Virtual Chicken and it was very interesting.

Back
Top Bottom