How to Tell a Fertile vs INfertile Egg (Pictures)

Pics
Fertile or not?
I'm thinking it is, but want other eyes to scope it out.

This is a 19 week olds first egg, 33 grams, she lives with a 20 week old cockerel...... tsktsk, kids these days!

Quote: Ohhhh OK. Thanks, my camera is 15 years old, maybe the first digital camera with a macro setting. I love to take macro shots, that one did turn out quite well, sometimes it doesn't focus on the right thing. I was flabbergasted that egg was fertile.

I have a question about eggs that isn't necessarily about whether it is fertile or not. I do think it is fertile but I'm more interested in what the other darker spots in the yolk are in my egg. In this picture it is with a store bought egg which is the bottom egg (I'm sure you guys/gals knew that though). The egg is from a 21 week old who just started laying a week ago.

Another egg from a pullet who has been laying since she was 18 weeks.

Last edited:
]Do both these look fertile? I think the one does but wasn't sure about the other. It is a two yolk egg. But it was only the pullet's first or second egg. The roo is only 16 weeks. Such a surprise. The egg was only the size of a small egg from the store. But a lot bigger than the ones the other pullets laid.

Last edited:
Do both these look fertile? I think the one does but wasn't sure about the other. It is a two yolk egg. But it was only the pullet's first or second egg. The roo is only 16 weeks. Such a surprise. The egg was only the size of a small egg from the store. But a lot bigger than the ones the other pullets laid.
Blank image?

I hope that fixed it. Needed to use a real computer I guess instead of a phone. And out of curiosity, I have read others talking about their pullets becoming broody soon after starting to lay. Can healthy chicks hatch from such small eggs?

]Do both these look fertile? I think the one does but wasn't sure about the other. It is a two yolk egg. But it was only the pullet's first or second egg. The roo is only 16 weeks. Such a surprise. The egg was only the size of a small egg from the store. But a lot bigger than the ones the other pullets laid.

The top one definitely is, not sure about the bottom one.

I hope that fixed it. Needed to use a real computer I guess instead of a phone. And out of curiosity, I have read others talking about their pullets becoming broody soon after starting to lay. Can healthy chicks hatch from such small eggs?
I'd say both of those are fertile.
Just because a bird goes broody doesn't mean you have to let them sit/hatch eggs.

Fertile pullet eggs will hatch. Friend just hatched out a few of mine..... but the chicks may be smaller chicks and smaller hens and I've also read that they can be not so healthy and possibly deformed....time will tell if that happens with these.

Back
Top Bottom