How to Tell a Fertile vs INfertile Egg (Pictures)

Pics
Is this egg not fertilized? It is hard to get a good photo, isn't it! These are pics of the same Silkie egg. I am guessing this is not fertile, but I don't really know what I'm looking at.

Thanks, if you can help. :)

I don't really see any sign of fertility, though some can be hard to call.

I would say no... not fertile.
Thank you both very much. That is helpful, to have more experienced eyes take a look. These are from a young hen who started laying just after being separated from a young roo, so there was only the faintest chance of fertility. I shall now make omelettes without hesitation.

Thank you both very much. That is helpful, to have more experienced eyes take a look. These are from a young hen who started laying just after being separated from a young roo, so there was only the faintest chance of fertility. I shall now make omelettes without hesitation.

I agree not fertile but you can still eat fertile eggs no worries! Nothing different about them... they taste exactly the same

I agree not fertile, fetile eggs will appear as a white ring not a solid dot majority of the time.
And like others say, no difference between fertile or non, no chick is developing. My roo gets around, lol, hardly ever have a non fertile egg these days!

Is this egg not fertilized? It is hard to get a good photo, isn't it! These are pics of the same Silkie egg. I am guessing this is not fertile, but I don't really know what I'm looking at.

Thanks, if you can help. :)

I'm not very good at this, but I do see what might be a ring:

I will compare against my next know not fertile peafowl egg, which I will eat very soon!

Last edited:
Quick question..... I candles an egg recently laid and I noticed something floating in the yolk is it fertilized

Floating? If you were not incubating it, could be a meat spot in there. It's tissue encapsulated in the egg from the hen's reproductive tract. Unless it was incubating, there would be nothing floating in there except maybe a meat spot.

Last edited:
PLEASE HELP :(

Hey! I have some courtix quail, ( male and a couple of females ) and I want to throw some eggs in my incubator. It's April right now, so I thought I would start since it's getting warmer. I cracked open one of my eggs to see if it was fertile. I think it is. What do you guys think? And if they lay more, wouldn't those be fertile as well? Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom