How to Tell a Fertile vs INfertile Egg (Pictures)

Thank you Speckledhen! Got my bullseye, now I know my hens are laying fertilized eggs
1f917.png
I am on my way to hatching my first set of chicks and I am so excited. I am eagerly awaiting for my incubator to arrive.

i have two cockerels, does that mean that the eggs are all fertile

Probably, but not necessarily. How old are they? If prior to about 16-18 weeks old, they may not be fertile yet. My first rooster was 10 months old when he met the girls. It was 5 months before fertile eggs. He'd never had hens before and was very laid back.

Can everyone see them... two very different looking blastoderms but both fertile.
Thank you Speckledhen! Got my bullseye, now I know my hens are laying fertilized eggs
1f917.png
I am on my way to hatching my first set of chicks and I am so excited. I am eagerly awaiting for my incubator to arrive.
Welcome to BYC! Congrats on your eggs, and good lck hatching!

Thought you'd like to see this since so many have asked how to tell if their eggs are fertilized. The first picture is an INfertile egg.

LL

On this one, you can see the ring, indicating fertility. This is caused by cells in the center of the blastoderm dying off and leaving a cleared out area, making that bullseye appearance. Not all are as clear as this one is, but you get the idea.
LL

**sorry for the graininess of these photos, but they were from years ago and a not so great camera.
Thought you'd like to see this since so many have asked how to tell if their eggs are fertilized. The first picture is an INfertile egg.

LL

On this one, you can see the ring, indicating fertility. This is caused by cells in the center of the blastoderm dying off and leaving a cleared out area, making that bullseye appearance. Not all are as clear as this one is, but you get the idea.
LL

**sorry for the graininess of these photos, but they were from years ago and a not so great camera.
How do you get the egg back in the shell once you know its fertile! :)

Back
Top Bottom