How to tell age of chicken

whatthechickens

Chirping
Nov 15, 2023
Is there any reliable way to tell what age a chicken is?
From searching there is a thousand posts on determining from chicks to pullets but is there a difference between a just matured hen and one in middle age and one almost geriatric? Even roughly? :)
Thanks in advance.

At which age do they stop laying eggs?

That will vary greatly based on breed, age, individual, environment, nutrition, general health, genetic make up and I am certain many more things.

For example I have 4 birds over 7 years that are high production breeds. All still lay 4-6 eggs a week. I also have a 10 year old bantam who has not laid since she was 2 years old.

The fleshy parts of their faces start looking rough and wrinkly after a while. Some breeds fade in color, too. I have DSL Barnevelders that had heads and necks almost completely black when younger. Now they are almost 4 and have a lot of graying on their heads, like people. But my Orpingtons of the same age still have their original color (not buff, I have several other varieties).

The reason I asked is two fold.
First, I have three hens, I think they are one ISA and two Hyline browns. Were free from a friend who can't remember which batch they came from, so they could be mix of 2.5 or 3.5 year old.
If they haven't shown any signs of age by mid year I guess they must be the 2.5 group as these type of hens lifespan is 3-4 years generally. I was thinking to get some younglings so that they mature around the time when the old girls are retiring and can show them the ropes.

Second, there is a lady selling very cheap hens that are 2-8 years old, and she doesn't know which is which!
Thanks!

The reason I asked is two fold.
First, I have three hens, I think they are one ISA and two Hyline browns. Were free from a friend who can't remember which batch they came from, so they could be mix of 2.5 or 3.5 year old.
If they haven't shown any signs of age by mid year I guess they must be the 2.5 group as these type of hens lifespan is 3-4 years generally. I was thinking to get some younglings so that they mature around the time when the old girls are retiring and can show them the ropes.

Second, there is a lady selling very cheap hens that are 2-8 years old, and she doesn't know which is which!
Thanks!

To get the best production I recommend getting chicks from a reputable hatchery.

The disease risk is far greater if getting adult birds or started pullets and from the ages you list their prime production will likely have passed.
There are several diseases that once they are on your property cannot ever be cured.

2-8 years is a really wide range for a hen - at 2 she’s still young and laying pretty well, but at 8 she’s anciently old and at death’s door. Disease risks aside, this wouldn’t be worth it because of the age uncertainty as well.

Back
Top Bottom