How to tell age of chicken

The reason I asked is two fold.
First, I have three hens, I think they are one ISA and two Hyline browns. Were free from a friend who can't remember which batch they came from, so they could be mix of 2.5 or 3.5 year old.

Second, there is a lady selling very cheap hens that are 2-8 years old, and she doesn't know which is which!
No good way to really differentiate between a 2.5 or a 3.5 yr old. If you enjoy them, no need to sweat their age as they can still earn their keep as the elders of your expanded flock.

2 to 8 is a huge range, I'd skip on those. You could probably guess which one is a 2 yr old versus an 8 yr old, but 2 vs 4 or 6 vs 8? Really won't be different.

The reason I asked is two fold.
First, I have three hens, I think they are one ISA and two Hyline browns. Were free from a friend who can't remember which batch they came from, so they could be mix of 2.5 or 3.5 year old.
If they haven't shown any signs of age by mid year I guess they must be the 2.5 group as these type of hens lifespan is 3-4 years generally. I was thinking to get some younglings so that they mature around the time when the old girls are retiring and can show them the ropes.

Second, there is a lady selling very cheap hens that are 2-8 years old, and she doesn't know which is which!
Thanks!
We do this with our high production hybrids. Pick up chicks in early spring. They grow and start laying mid summer. Then, the batch from the previous year gets sold in late fall/early winter at around 20 months old. This is more rapid than necessary, we could extend this to an additional year or more probably. But we have a 4-H kid, and cycle through chickens pretty regularly so we have the proper age/type birds for fair season. But, it’s a win-win scenario- we always have eggs bc the young ones lay through winter, and the people who buy the 20 month olds, get healthy birds that are still able to produce really well, and will likely get larger eggs as egg size often increases after the first winter adult molt.

Back
Top Bottom