How to tell when a rooster is too old

Anime2lover

Keeper of tiny dinos
Apr 17, 2019
Our main rooster, big red is already four years old. He is the dominant rooster, and always got along well with the younger rooster he's been kept with for over a year. But recently, the younger bantam roosters seem to be domineering him more. He just got over a bout with one silky rooster that was supposedly preventing him from being with his ladies and getting food. But when we removed said rooster, he acted normal. Is this just because said silky is just to hormonal, or is our main rooster to old?

4yo is typically "past their prime" as far as breeding goes. Sex drive and sperm count tend to go down after 3 or 4yo.
That we have noticed this year. Though he still performs good enough. We are on the edge about picking out a heir for him. I was more meaning in the ability to care for the flock.

I have 3 males about 6-8. The 8 has low coints, but I also rarely see him even try to breed.

My other two are either 6 or 7, not quite sure. Both are still incredibly fertile and active. Except that I've had them most of their lives, I would think they're still younger

I have 3 males about 6-8. The 8 has low coints, but I also rarely see him even try to breed.

My other two are either 6 or 7, not quite sure. Both are still incredibly fertile and active. Except that I've had them most of their lives, I would think they're still younger
Problem is, my younger silky is taking advantage of him, and he's no longer calling them in at night.

I have no direct experience, but I have heard of people keeping a beloved retired flockmaster in a separate enclosure with a few of his favorite, older hens.
Might be a thought once we've chosen an appropriate heir. Our silky will not be that heir because he's not an easter egger, and that's what we mostly want in our main flock.

Sometimes, a juvenile rooster will begin to attack and fight an older rooster for the lead spot. Some birds can deal with that, some cannot, and it can be rather horrible to have an honored rooster, shamed and beaten up.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom