How to transport adult peafowl?

Mmmaddie13

Songster
9 Years
Mar 5, 2011
Berthoud, CO
Hi all,
I'm going to pick up a new addition on Saturday, but I'm not sure how to get him from A to B. A dog crate in the back of a truck with a topper on it? A custom-built box? Any suggestions?

Thank you thank you! :)

the adult peacock should have lost tail at this time so that makes it easier. a dog crate works well anything that they can fit in a box or whatever as long as they fit comfortably they will settle down and as long as protected from wind and cold you should be fine just have some air holes but not too many if cold. they will get nervous and mess up the cage more than most other poultry.

I have a large dog crate (Doberman size) and wanted to transport mine this way. It is only 2 miles from where they live now to my farm and the guy that is giving them to me said he has better luck transporting them in a large woven bag with a hole cut out of the end for the head and then the bag wrapped snugly around them. He said they are less likely to injure themselves but if you are driving a distance I would expect a crate to work well.

I really have no idea. I am just passing along the info given to me.
idunno.gif

I've always used dog crates & I wrap a blanket or sheet (if it's summer) around it & tie it so they can't see out - my theory being they might feel a bit more secure that way & not be prone to fly up in a panic & smash into the top.

It's a little over a 2-hour drive (closest pea farm to me that I know of), so I will get the dog crate set up, and wrap a sheet around it.
And I will post pictures when he's home! :) Thanks!

It is only 2 miles from where they live now to my farm and the guy that is giving them to me said he has better luck transporting them in a large woven bag with a hole cut out of the end for the head and then the bag wrapped snugly around them. He said they are less likely to injure themselves but if you are driving a distance I would expect a crate to work well.

I really have no idea. I am just passing along the info given to me.
idunno.gif

The last peacock I got was about 1.5 hour drive and the guy I got it from told me also that the woven bag worked well. So that is how I transported him, on the floor behind the front seat of my car. The pea stayed calm and alert , it worked out very well and he was very easy to carry to the pen when I got home. No ruffled feathers either.

Well, I don't have any experience with the bag, but I've moved peas in large dog crates and it worked perfectly.
I think it might be better for them to be able to move around in the crate?
The guys I moved were nervous and circled a bit at first, but then were able to settle in how they were most comfortable.
BTW I just had the crate on the back seat of my car.

The dog crate I have is rather large, and is just wire.. like this one:
wire_dog_crate.jpg

But it doesn't have the plastic on the bottom anymore, so I'd have to figure something out for that, if I didn't put it in the back of my truck... I have a Ford F-350 that it might fit in the back seat... I'm just worried about the stinkage.

Hmm...my crate is one of those plastic ones.
I think you could put cardboard in the bottom of the one you have to replace the missing plastic.
The boys I moved didn't stink at all! But I know others report that this can be a problem.
Would a wire crate like that in the back of a truck be uncomfortably windy for the guy?

Back
Top Bottom