How to treat Bumblefoot without cutting??

feather16

Songster
6 Years
Jul 30, 2017
CA, USA
I noticed a girl limping, and found dark spots in the center of her feet. I didn’t notice any swelling or redness, and the limp isn’t too bad. I wanted to pick at it but I didn’t have anything around to help, like Neosporin or wraps, so I’m going to try that tomorrow. My question is what can I do without cutting it open? Should I apply prid and vet wrap? Or antibiotics? And should I give it to the whole flock as a precaution? I do have 3 10wk olds if that matters.

I had a girl pass away two weeks ago, I have no idea why or how, except I do remember her limping pretty heavily on one leg about a month before she passed, I didn’t find anything on her foot so I didn’t think it was Bumblefoot, and a week later she was fine, not limping anymore. I don’t know if they’re related or what. Eek, just looking for some help please.

Oh, I also dealt with a mite infestation, and they just got their second round of ivermectin pour on. If that matters... I don’t want to overload my babies.

Sorry for a long post, and thank you in advance! :)

Yes! Sorry. The tops of her feet/legs don’t look swollen to me.. and neither did the other hen. It’s a hot day, so couldn’t tell if it was hot or not

Attachments

• C43EE23A-902D-49E9-94BD-91BD279F9957.jpeg
    C43EE23A-902D-49E9-94BD-91BD279F9957.jpeg
    317.7 KB · Views: 19
  • E5786022-42F9-497B-B299-18382D8E566E.jpeg
    E5786022-42F9-497B-B299-18382D8E566E.jpeg
    417.8 KB · Views: 17
  • D145F60F-5C40-4EBF-B39F-762E6FC5410B.jpeg
    D145F60F-5C40-4EBF-B39F-762E6FC5410B.jpeg
    376.2 KB · Views: 18
you can use your fingernail to pry it off after soaking as it should be easy any cleaner but peroxide there will be a small hard kernel or sqooshy to squeeze out then use the cleaner and triple antibiotic like neosporin

Totally agree with other posters here, 15-20 minute warm foot bath, preferably with epsom salt. Wearing gloves is recommended as bumblefoot is a staph infection, and can be transmitted to humans. With a dry rag give the area a rub down in an attempt to pop the scab off, if the dry rag rub doesn't do the trick, a good tug with some tweezers at the edge of the scab should do the trick. Once the scab is removed, give the wound a good squeeze, like you'd do to remove a blackhead or cyst. Keep gently pushing until all of the cheesy material has vacated the wound then rinse well with saline, water, betadine or the like... avoid hydrogen peroxide as it burns and can kill the living tissue. Pack the wound with an antibiotic (without pain) ointment (the type with the consistency of vaseline) and wrap the wound (not too tightly) to keep it clean.

I noticed a girl limping, and found dark spots in the center of her feet. I didn’t notice any swelling or redness, and the limp isn’t too bad. I wanted to pick at it but I didn’t have anything around to help, like Neosporin or wraps, so I’m going to try that tomorrow. My question is what can I do without cutting it open? Should I apply prid and vet wrap? Or antibiotics? And should I give it to the whole flock as a precaution? I do have 3 10wk olds if that matters.

I had a girl pass away two weeks ago, I have no idea why or how, except I do remember her limping pretty heavily on one leg about a month before she passed, I didn’t find anything on her foot so I didn’t think it was Bumblefoot, and a week later she was fine, not limping anymore. I don’t know if they’re related or what. Eek, just looking for some help please.

Oh, I also dealt with a mite infestation, and they just got their second round of ivermectin pour on. If that matters... I don’t want to overload my babies.

Sorry for a long post, and thank you in advance! :)
Tricide Neo is your answer. I've tried it for Bumblefoot and it works well. Here's a link for you to read:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...invasive-bumblefoot-cure.303829/#post-3726557

Back
Top Bottom