How to treat mould/fungus in nostrils

LemonyCatapult

Songster
Jul 27, 2018
London, Ontario
a couple of my hens have developed black nostrils and are sneezing. I’m assuming it is mould due to dust or moisture. I’m renovating the coop and will definitely be taking this into consideration. In the meantime, how do I treat this? I have antibiotics from the vet that I got when my rooster got a respiratory infection and it worked great, wondering if it could help with this?

I’ve seen a lot of articles diagnosing this issue but haven’t seen a single treatment option.

Thanks!

Antibiotics won't do much for a fungus infection. But you really don't know if it's fungal or bacterial, do you?

What I would do is treat with a vaporizer or mister with Oxine in the water. It will combat both fungus and bacteria.

If these hens are acting sick, though, you may need to treat with oral medication, but it could be trial and error since you don't know if a fungal drug would work or an antibacterial drug is in order.

Then there is the possibility that the black crusty lesions are caused by mites. You would then need a drug such as Ivermectin to tackle those.

If you wish to save time and perhaps $$, you might want a vet to take tissue samples and test them for these three possibilities. But you could begin with the misting treatment with Oxine and see what happens.

Hi There.
This may sound crazy, and over the top. lol But have you got such thing
as a jar of VICK. Yes, it is for humans, we all know, just get a few cotton swabs/buds.
Dip a little in the Vick, have someone hold your girls, cover their eyes, chat nice to them,
and dabb, Vick in each nostril. Also dab, on their crop. Of course also treat with antibiotics
you already have as well. Keep applying every few hours. It will clear their airways,
and stop the sneezing. We have done this many a time, trust me it works. If you have
not got VICK, then a dab of Eucalyptus oil, will work as well. It will not harm them at
all. I live in UK but i am sure you can pick it up anywhere where you live. It is not expensive. Joke is when ours was sneezing our girls, use to love it. lol Because they knew it was doing them good, and sneezing stopped within 24hrs. Hope this helps.
Good luck.
  • 51cHl4oFAbL.jpg
Click to open expanded view

Antibiotics won't do much for a fungus infection. But you really don't know if it's fungal or bacterial, do you?

What I would do is treat with a vaporizer or mister with Oxine in the water. It will combat both fungus and bacteria.

If these hens are acting sick, though, you may need to treat with oral medication, but it could be trial and error since you don't know if a fungal drug would work or an antibacterial drug is in order.

Then there is the possibility that the black crusty lesions are caused by mites. You would then need a drug such as Ivermectin to tackle those.

If you wish to save time and perhaps $$, you might want a vet to take tissue samples and test them for these three possibilities. But you could begin with the misting treatment with Oxine and see what happens.
Thanks so much! That’s a great suggestion to begin with, I’ll o ahead with that and see where it goes.

Hi There.
This may sound crazy, and over the top. lol But have you got such thing
as a jar of VICK. Yes, it is for humans, we all know, just get a few cotton swabs/buds.
Dip a little in the Vick, have someone hold your girls, cover their eyes, chat nice to them,
and dabb, Vick in each nostril. Also dab, on their crop. Of course also treat with antibiotics
you already have as well. Keep applying every few hours. It will clear their airways,
and stop the sneezing. We have done this many a time, trust me it works. If you have
not got VICK, then a dab of Eucalyptus oil, will work as well. It will not harm them at
all. I live in UK but i am sure you can pick it up anywhere where you live. It is not expensive. Joke is when ours was sneezing our girls, use to love it. lol Because they knew it was doing them good, and sneezing stopped within 24hrs. Hope this helps.
Good luck.
  • 51cHl4oFAbL.jpg
Click to open expanded view
That’s great and so simple! Thanks for the advice! I’ll give it a try :)

Back
Top Bottom