How to wing ducks from heat lamp? Need help

Kazjia

In the Brooder
Jun 12, 2017
Covington, wa
I bought 2 magpie ducks and they have stayed in the house for the past three months with a heat lamp. I finally moved them to the shed but they won't sleep without the light. Is this normal? They stayed up all night quacking and slept all day. I put the light back in the shed they sleep all night long. Does it hurt them? Please advise

I tried the night light last night after 3 hours of them quaking I gave them the heat lamp and they slept. I just have spoiled ducks. I think ill try the taper idea, go without the light for thirty min then next night an hour and so forth.

I am just going to keep the heat lamp. They are happy with it and no stress.

I'm in the same situation and we used to have them indoors up until 4-5months. They are 1 year old. Even for a week straight we had the lights off and they just would not stop yapping all night. We gave up and have kept them with a heat lamp forever. Even now in the hot weather they still have one for light.

However it's been brought to my attention regardless of how cool I keep the coop, the heat lamp overall can do more harm than good. I'm searching for new ways to get lighting into the coop, and may have landed on just placing a click light on top inside that just bounces light off the ceiling and don't have to worry about them looking at the bulb or light directly.

I'm in the same situation and we used to have them indoors up until 4-5months. They are 1 year old. Even for a week straight we had the lights off and they just would not stop yapping all night. We gave up and have kept them with a heat lamp forever. Even now in the hot weather they still have one for light.

However it's been brought to my attention regardless of how cool I keep the coop, the heat lamp overall can do more harm than good. I'm searching for new ways to get lighting into the coop, and may have landed on just placing a click light on top inside that just bounces light off the ceiling and don't have to worry about them looking at the bulb or light directly.
we have Lee trinity in the sheds and a light. The shed is about 20 x 10 and the heat lamp doesn't make it to hot.
Spoiled ducks. Today it rained a lot and they didn't want to go out in it but they wanted to be in their pool, so the darted as fast as they could to the covered pool pen and have swam all day long. Go figure.

Back
Top Bottom