How to wing ducks from heat lamp? Need help

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Kazjia, Jun 12, 2017.

1. Kazjia

Kazjia In the Brooder

Jun 12, 2017
    Covington, wa
    I bought 2 magpie ducks and they have stayed in the house for the past three months with a heat lamp. I finally moved them to the shed but they won't sleep without the light. Is this normal? They stayed up all night quacking and slept all day. I put the light back in the shed they sleep all night long. Does it hurt them? Please advise

2. eggbert420

eggbert420 Songster

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    At 3 months old they don't need heat. You could leave a night light on for them.

3. Kazjia

Kazjia In the Brooder

Jun 12, 2017
    Covington, wa
    True, I could just do that but they lay under the light still and it does get chilly at night. Maybe I will try the nightlight thing. Ill let you know

4. Mountainbeauty

Mountainbeauty Chirping

May 31, 2017
    I would give that a try but if doesnt work i would give them back their lamp and put it or a timer for the night and slowly cut back a half hour every night till they get used to it.

eggbert420 and Miss Lydia like this.
  5. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Ducklings get scared of the dark....You can take the light right from them...It only takes a couple of nights for them to adjust....Silly Birds.....:frow

6. Kazjia

Kazjia In the Brooder

Jun 12, 2017
    Covington, wa
    I tried the night light last night after 3 hours of them quaking I gave them the heat lamp and they slept. I just have spoiled ducks. I think ill try the taper idea, go without the light for thirty min then next night an hour and so forth.

7. Kazjia

Kazjia In the Brooder

Jun 12, 2017
    Covington, wa
    Great idea, ill try that.

eggbert420 likes this.
  8. Kazjia

Kazjia In the Brooder

Jun 12, 2017
    Covington, wa
    I am just going to keep the heat lamp. They are happy with it and no stress.

9. Kiki to Nana

Kiki to Nana Songster

Aug 1, 2016
    Fowlerville, Michigan
    I'm in the same situation and we used to have them indoors up until 4-5months. They are 1 year old. Even for a week straight we had the lights off and they just would not stop yapping all night. We gave up and have kept them with a heat lamp forever. Even now in the hot weather they still have one for light.

However it's been brought to my attention regardless of how cool I keep the coop, the heat lamp overall can do more harm than good. I'm searching for new ways to get lighting into the coop, and may have landed on just placing a click light on top inside that just bounces light off the ceiling and don't have to worry about them looking at the bulb or light directly.

10. Kazjia

Kazjia In the Brooder

Jun 12, 2017
    Covington, wa
    we have Lee trinity in the sheds and a light. The shed is about 20 x 10 and the heat lamp doesn't make it to hot.
    Spoiled ducks. Today it rained a lot and they didn't want to go out in it but they wanted to be in their pool, so the darted as fast as they could to the covered pool pen and have swam all day long. Go figure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: