How was your winter?

I have RR, silkies, easter egger, Braham momma, buff orps, Plymouth rocks and leghorns! They loved the snow and didn't seem to mind the cold! There were a few times they didn't go outside because of the wind I think...they are hardy birds! Glad your winter was mild! Lucky!

:) Our winter wasn't mild. Just not as bad as N. WI tends to dish out. Lots of negative 15 and less with wind chills that make you question your sanity! I just felt very fortunate to be so blessed with the overall success of my first flock's winter. If I had any clue how they'd react to first snow I'd have taken pix when I opened that door! Also found humor how grouched out they got when new snow messed up their little trails! They'd gather up and hold these little councils. And cluck and flap....often at me!

I do not have power in my coop as well! I think providing a laying break for the girls is so important! In the last month they have been laying 6,8 or 12 eggs a day! Some are loosing their feathers on bottom because they're laying so much!

My girls seem to be able to regulate the egg production. I've got 17 layers after the loss of one to the feral cat. In fact it seems some are just now starting which I don't understand, but try not to question Nature. Some days we may see 9-12 but the next day maybe 5-6. They get a calcium/mineral supplement daily mixed in with the food I've devised. I liken it to having been a horsewomen most of my life. 30 years ago most of keeping them was some training and common sense. Now if you listen to the books, sites, & experts I'd be terrified to venture down that path! But guess what. I haven't much changed my approach and the horses are fine and dandy. Plus my vet bills are lower now that I've learned to give vaccines and wormers are readily available. ;) Years ago a riding trainer gave me advice that turned into something that serves well in general: if anyone ever claims to be a total expert or know all there is... RUN! ;)

I do not have power in my coop as well! I think providing a laying break for the girls is so important! In the last month they have been laying 6,8 or 12 eggs a day! Some are loosing their feathers on bottom because they're laying so much!

In some cases I agree. This year I didn't pursue a larger amount of eggs from my flock. Whoever laid eggs and whoever didn't lay. I was fine with it.

I have RR, silkies, easter egger, Braham momma, buff orps, Plymouth rocks and leghorns! They loved the snow and didn't seem to mind the cold! There were a few times they didn't go outside because of the wind I think...they are hardy birds! Glad your winter was mild! Lucky!

Love silkies and Easter egger!

:) Our winter wasn't mild. Just not as bad as N. WI tends to dish out. Lots of negative 15 and less with wind chills that make you question your sanity! I just felt very fortunate to be so blessed with the overall success of my first flock's winter. If I had any clue how they'd react to first snow I'd have taken pix when I opened that door! Also found humor how grouched out they got when new snow messed up their little trails! They'd gather up and hold these little councils. And cluck and flap....often at me!
Ohhhh!! I gotcha! I was going to say...you're so lucky!!! Its easier when they like the snow, keeps them busy! I can NOT wait for spring!

A friend of mine put lighting in her coop and was getting so many eggs. I thought about it and then decided no, let nature take its course

The only way I think I'd put lights in would be if I installed an automatic door, so they'd wake up a bit earlier and eat...then out with the daybreak. If you read up on the havoc artificial light has caused for female humans, it gives pause to think. Just my thought.

The only way I think I'd put lights in would be if I installed an automatic door, so they'd wake up a bit earlier and eat...then out with the daybreak. If you read up on the havoc artificial light has caused for female humans, it gives pause to think. Just my thought.
I agree! I would loveeee an automatic door!

Michigan Winter was oh well a Michigan Winter! Cold lots of weather changes....Lost 1 bird too weather and one to predators. Egg production was way down. Birds seem to like spring coming. But whatever predator caused disruption about a week ago is still coming around. Can't get to the birds but each night my roo acts way weird as girls go into roost he paces outside back and forth and acts like he knows something is out there. One hen has laid 3 shell less eggs since the attack.

Back
Top Bottom