How Water-Loving are Mallards?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no conflict. I asked a simple question is all. It appears you do not understand the question either and believe all mallard-derived duck breeds are the same. That's not how it is. I was reaching out to people who would know and be willing to answer a serious question instead of receiving sarcasm as opposed to engagement.

I never said they were "wild". Where are you coming from? This does not address anything to do with specific breeds that descend from mallards. Many of you make it sound like ducks are ducks and there's nothing else. I am trying to delve deeper and find information to help my new ducklings.

If you are of the opinion that ducks are waterfowl therefore they all love water the same, please do not post on this thread. You have no info I could want. I want real information from open-minded and knowledgeable people.

I am not trying to be offensive at all. If you can't seriously engage with the OP and opt instead to find things wrong with the question or OP as opposed to engaging in discussion of information and ideas... please do not respond to my threads. Thank you.
With the exception of the Muscovy, ducks are ducks. They are waterfowl. There's nothing else when it comes to water. You want to hear a breed specific fact that does not exist, and don't wish to converse with anyone who tells you that, or who provides you with other reasons ducklings might avoid water. That's fine. I'll leave you to hear whatever it is you hope to hear.

robbyvg

I'm just going to switch gears for a moment,, with a different question.
As most others did. Why not post your own thread?

The Mallards you will get from the hatchery, come with a clipped rear toe. That is how they are Identified,,, as not wild caught. So down the road when your mallards decide to propagate,,, what are your plans if any,, hatching your own???
If you do hatch out your own,,, The DNR, could possibly lay on some BS,, about that. It seems you need to prove yourself innocent, unlike being innocent until proven guilty.

Uh, I have my own plans for the future of a mallard flock propagating or not. Those plans will change as I learn more - which was the point of the thread. You're getting way ahead of things. I am asking a basic breed characteristic question. lol. This is silly.

DNR? Ok. Thanks for the acronym instead of just saying it.

I am so far in the sticks with many acres in a backwoods area - I won't have a problem with your "DNR". I'm guessing - since you never said what DNR was.

Now, for asking a questions about breeds I need to prove myself innocent? What kind of drugs are you on?! lol. This is going way overboard.
My interest in Mallard thread subjects stems from the fact, that wild Mallards visit my backyard regularly.
I of course never had Squirrel Cop,, (DNR, Official) come to my door and ask if those were mine. If that did happen,,, of course the ducks would fly away to creek 2 blocks away. View attachment 2936291

Do you think your mallards may decide to try and escape into wild lifestyle?? Or do you intend to possibly clip wings to prevent that??

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome

Uh, clipping wings with a flying domesticated duck is a no-brainer for me. These things I know and have experience with. I asked one simple question.

This forum is not as helpful as it used to be. I've had more accusations, sarcasm and demeaning than I asked for - I did not post on a BDSM forum. I asked one simple question about the characteristics of a duck breed vs. other duck breeds.

What is wrong with half you people? lol.

With the exception of the Muscovy, ducks are ducks. They are waterfowl. There's nothing else when it comes to water. You want to hear a breed specific fact that does not exist, and don't wish to converse with anyone who tells you that, or who provides you with other reasons ducklings might avoid water. That's fine. I'll leave you to hear whatever it is you hope to hear.

The fact does exist. Just as general broodiness level does. A duck is not just a duck. They have different characteristics and levels of care or enthusiasm for different things. Some are more broody than others, some are more water-obsessed, some lay more eggs, some forage more than others.

If this is all you have to say (nothing informative or useful) please don't respond.

When someone says simply that a duck is a duck - they are all waterfowl therefore love the water the same, all I hear is blank mind. You know better than that - if you care to.

In the OP I already gave an example of how Cayugas take to water enthusiastically more than other breeds I have raised. Are you saying I'm lying or that doesn't exist? C'mon.

Can we please stop the criticism and focus on information and expanding knowledge?

Another point. Few Mallard derived ducks can actually fly (or fly well). Yet Mallards are known for flying well - domesticated or not. That is a distinct breed difference as opposed to a Pekin, for example.

A breed characteristic. Because Mallards fly well I should not think or ask questions and assume all Mallard-derived breeds fly well?

That would be incorrect, wouldn't it?

how much do Mallards enjoy the water? More than Cayugas?
I keep ducks but I'm struggling to understand how one duck can enjoy water more than another. They all love water. If you're meaning do they like to swim In water then yes they certainly do. A lot of breeds these days are descendants from the mallard. In the wild they're more often in the water than they are out of it which tells me they obviously enjoy it. Wether they enjoy water more than a Cayuga is something only the ducks know.

I keep ducks but I'm struggling to understand how one duck can enjoy water more than another. They all love water. If you're meaning do they like to swim In water then yes they certainly do. A lot of breeds these days are descendants from the mallard. In the wild they're more often in the water than they are out of it which tells me they obviously enjoy it. Wether they enjoy water more than a Cayuga is something only the ducks know.
Is everyone oblivious to different breeds of ducks having different characteristics? Even as it relates to their water-enthusiasm?

How is it I've only been raising ducks for a year and I can see a lot of differences between the breeds but half the "experienced" people here say a duck is a duck. They all love water. Period.

Yes. Ducks are waterfoul. I am well-aware. I am trying to go further and find more information.

Example (again):
Khaki Campbells I've noticed are louder and more nervous than other breeds I have raised. They are also a touch smaller than most I've raised. Its not just me who thinks that - look at Metzer's "Compare Duck Breeds" chart. It plots many different characteristics between the mallard-derived breeds.

This is like saying a Shih Tzu has the same behavior as a Beagle. A dog is a dog (says the cat person! lol)

Again I will ask: if you are just going to type that all ducks are the same and love water the same.... I DO NOT CARE to hear from you. You do not have any useful information pertinent to this thread. :)

Is everyone oblivious to different breeds of ducks having different characteristics? Even as it relates to their water-enthusiasm?

How is it I've only been raising ducks for a year and I can see a lot of differences between the breeds but half the "experienced" people here say a duck is a duck. They all love water. Period.

Yes. Ducks are waterfoul. I am well-aware. I am trying to go further and find more information.

Example (again):
Khaki Campbells I've noticed are louder and more nervous than other breeds I have raised. They are also a touch smaller than most I've raised. Its not just me who thinks that - look at Metzer's "Compare Duck Breeds" chart. It plots many different characteristics between the mallard-derived breeds.

This is like saying a Shih Tzu has the same behavior as a Beagle. A dog is a dog (says the cat person! lol)

Again I will ask: if you are just going to type that all ducks are the same and love water the same.... I DO NOT CARE to hear from you. You do not have any useful information pertinent to this thread. :)
After reading your previous posts I was expecting a negative reply.

I think I've seen it all now. 😆
There's absolutely no way of knowing wether a mallard likes the water more than a Cayuga. How would we know??? As far as I have seen with my own eyes (in my backyard), mallards looove the water, possibly more than any other backyard breed. I agree that Cayuga's are equally as enthusiastic about water. Honestly what more do you want to know? Ask a specific question.
Be decent and perhaps you'll get more contributors.

All the best, and merry Christmas.

After reading your previous posts I was expecting a negative reply.

I think I've seen it all now. 😆
There's absolutely no way of knowing wether a mallard likes the water more than a Cayuga. How would we know???

Its called behavior. My Cayugas (do I have to say it AGAIN?!?!) take to water at 2 days old, they bob, wet themselves and dive under water to swim. Pekins of the same age in the same bath tub.... they paddle a bit but look a little bored. After so many of the same breed, I can infer that Cayugas take to water and have a deeper connection to it than a Pekin.

Have you ever observed behavior of different breeds and their habits or attributes?

How would we know? lol. OBSERVE. It is not that hard if you care.
As far as I have seen with my own eyes, mallards looove the water, possibly more than any other backyard breed. Honestly what more do you want to know? Ask a specific question.
Be decent and perhaps you'll get more contributors.

All the best, and merry Christmas.
I did ask a specific question and in this last paragraph you actually gave me the information I was asking for and contradicted all your previous words.

You say Mallards love water possibly more than any other backyard breed. Those are your words. That is all I was looking for, damn. That is what I was asking. Why couldn't you just say that?

Its funny you say ducks all love water the same then switch and say Mallards love water possibly more than any other backyard breed you know of. Color me stumped at that but thank you for finally giving the info you have about Mallards' water-enthusiasm.

You say Mallards love water possibly more than any other backyard breed. Those are your words. That is all I was looking for, damn. That is what I was asking. Why couldn't you just say that?
The word "possibly" suggests I'm not certain. I'm sorry I can't give you a definite answer. Like I say, there's no way of knowing for sure. As someone who has observed both breeds, I can't say I've noticed any differences in their behaviours towards water. I would guess they're very very similar.

The word "possibly" suggests I'm not certain. I'm sorry I can't give you a definite answer. Like I say, there's no way of knowing for sure. As someone who has observed both breeds, I can't say I've noticed any differences in their behaviours towards water. I would guess they're very very similar.
Okay. I never asked for a only a perfect specific answer. I've responded to half the posters on this thread positively as they simply noodled the idea with me - and that I appreciate. Even the last paragraph you wrote (which you are now back peddling on) I found informative and useful.

Now you are sort of switching again (back peddling) and pointing out the qualifier ("possibly") instead of just sticking with what you said.

If you have not noticed a specific breed's distinct characteristics, you either do not pay attention to them or never raised the ducklings closely. Or both.

If you simply put mixed ducklings in a brooder to have for eggs and to watch on your pond, that's cool - I like that too. Just don't tell people 'a duck is a duck. only they know if they like water more than others' as if you have taken the time to observe closely, study, analyze.

Maybe I am completely wrong (and I could be) but I believe each duck breed has its own characteristics which can fairly easily be observed and compared - in order to make good decisions on how to rear them and the environment that would best suit them. I know that is crazy talk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom